PhD Jukebox

T

Last night I took a break from my stressing and popped to the shop (I needed whipping cream for irish coffees - an essential trip, obviously), while in there I found myself forgetting my stress and bopping down the aisle to a bit of classic nineties music. So my new and highly scientific theory, is that I can regulate my mood through self-imposed music therapy. My current prescription is one capsule of Mark Ronson, followed a spoonful of the David Bowie.

What should I play after that, and what are you listening to right now?

S

Florence and the maschine!

T

======= Date Modified 15 Mar 2010 15:01:34 =======
Oh, good one Sascha! Have to steal it back off my husband ;-)

C

A combination of Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Lily Allen, and Country roads ( A country music compilation) got me through my PhD write up. Not listening to anything right at the moment as am working late at the new job.

Cakeman

here's my confession. I have recently been listening to the Glee album :$ and after being taken to 'love never dies' a few weeks ago, and thinking it was really good despite what the papers say I have also been singing along to the album while doing analysis.

T

Oh sneaks, that is shameful! That said, the last two night's out I've partaken of have involved mandatory dancing to at least one Glee track. It makes me feel a little unclean but I liked it.

@Cakeman - are you related to cakegirl in any way?

M

I listen to swing/jazz for chilling out, 90's pop (or other cheesy tunes) for cheering up, classical music for working to for inspiration without distraction and Country mix radio almost all the time for feel good music.

T

Today has been Florence, Kings of Leon (thank God I live in the country and no one can see as I strut about my kitchen) and a hefty dose of Fleetwood Mac. I agree with you about classical though Mathkitty, a lot of the time I can't work if there are actual words in my music. Today I surpassed myself though, I sang along whilst simultaneously literature searching and writing - actually, now I'm worried that I'm going to find "I don't care what nobody says, we gonna have a baby" in the middle of my discussion, eek.

M

hee hee. That's exactly why I can't have words :) Also tend to singalong :)

W

I am listening to Fluke, an audiobook about a man who is trapped inside a dog's body, whilst intermittently looking at my brother's lanky, smelly lurcher cross with wonder.

C

Teek,

In response to your question, I am called as such due to the super power-like, or at least reviving effect that cake has on me and my work, hence cakeman, as opposed to banana man, who was also a fine superhero. Whether I am related to cakegirl, I seriously doubt, although I do have one female relative in academia, and given that this is an anonomous forum, It is possible but highly unlikely

Cakeman

C

======= Date Modified 16 Mar 2010 23:14:38 =======
Because I am doing corrections and do not require total concentration, I am listening to some of the songs that were played on German radio all the time I was back there earlier this year, especially Silbermond:(all can be found on t'youtube)

Silbermond: Krieger des Lichts

Silbermond: Ich bereue nichts

Silbermond: Irgendwas Bleibt

T

Damnit cakeman, now I want restorative cake! Have you ever made mug cake? It's genius, but also very dangerous - basically we are never more than five minutes from cake, oh dear.

Chrisrolinski, you might be on to something there, if I listen to foreign language songs I won't be able to sing along and get distracted. I might skip the french rap section though, that always has me dissolving in giggles (apologies to anyone french on here, I am a puerlie Brit I know)