Protests

Are there any protests organised for tomorrow at your unis?

I don't *think* there is anything going on at mine, but I'm due to teach. Will I be crossing picket lines or something???

W

I think there's something going on up at mine, but it's going to be very chilly, so I bet most of the students stay in bed. Since there isn't anything going on at yours, and even if there is, you can hardly be considered to be a 'scab' crossing the picket line. Job = money = food and heating.

B

yes there is, but am due to teach so us GTAs could not 'participate' even though of course we support the cause.

I kind of feel up for some government building bashing. Although now i've said that I'll probably have MI5 breaking down my door or at least following me with CCTV once they've tracked my IP. 8-)

And your right Wal, it is awfully cold (snowman)

B

Ok, so am a bit worried now that I have read the FB page for the walkout. I teach from 3 to 4.30, so perhaps not relevant, what if a flying picket team comes to my class or if all my students walk out?! I am supposed to be prepping them for writing their summative essays.:-s

J

This is a protest not a strike therefore by walking past you are not breaking any picket (and are therefore not a scab). When there was the big staff protests 5 years ago I was a sessional lecturer and not in the union - there was little presence on the campus and so walking / driving past was not an issue (compared to when I worked in the motor industry in the 1980s when there were big stikes with serious picket lines, brazziers, donkey jackets etc (ah those were the days)). Don't forget that if you do refuse to cross the picket line there are all sorts of legal implications if it is not an official picket for your union (aside from the loss of pay if it is your union). There is guidance here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/TradeUnions/DG_10027549

If there are protests (and there were none at my uni but there is a big one in the city centre for the three unis in the city) and anyone says anything I am goign to say that I support the cause but that I cannot jeopardise the teaching for any students who do turn up by not turning up myself. There's been no guidance from the union other than to try to go to the protest in the city centre this lunchtime (whereas for the big protest in London there was guidance about moving classes to enable staff and students to attend).