Publications featured in the general public press

A

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to see some of the work done during my post-doc published in the mainstream press and relayed in social networks.
Is this something I should mention in a CV/resume or cover letter? If so, how?
I don't want to sound arrogant, this was a team effort. However, I would like to know if this has any value in a dossier.

Thank you for your advice!

P

It would depend on its value to the person reading your CV. Mainstream media isn't peer-reviewed, so may not have much weight as a publication in some circles. You could however demonstrate how this engages the public and contributes to impact and stakeholder awareness.

A

Thank you very much for your answer! Actually, there was first a publication in a peer-reviewed journal, which was later relayed in mainstream media.

Hi apiontec,

Congratulations on having your work enter the mainstream media. I think it would be very reaffirming that your work was significant enough to get wider attention. Although I don't think you can directly mention the media coverage unless you actively did something about it. A friend's research got into a BBC article and he mentioned the coverage as part of his outreach work in his cover letter. If you did any sort of public outreach work or increasing awareness, mentioning the media is a great way to reinforce the point. Saying that, I am still a PhD student so don't know too much.

A

Thank you for you thoughts! I didn't actively participate to increasing the media coverage, so I guess it's better if I don't directly mention it...

P

I think you should mention it. (If you are / hoping to be in academia in the UK) the next REF is going to increase the weight given to impact. So if you can do anything to demonstrate you have the ability to generate that, that's great. On your CV where you put your academic paper, just add a sentence to show where it was discussed (presumably positively..?) in the popular press.

A

Yes it was discussed positively :) ! Thank you for your feedback