Puppy and PhD problems

L

Ok so I got a puppy, and I love her to bits, and with us PhD lot who frequently spend a lot of time working from home writing away I figured this would be grand. I love her to bits but shes doing my head in... Anyone have any pearls of wisdom, theres no question about keeping her, im in it for the long haul but it seems she has no regard for the fact that I have a thesis that needs done!
lol

J

How about buying her a puppy friend? Or would two dogs drive you even more crazy?

L

lol juno one dog is bad enough two might just have me cracking up. Im hoping she will calm down as she heads out of her puppy days...

P

Can you me a bit more specific? Disobediant, or general hecticness?
What breed have you got?

L

shes a wee pug and she is getting better day to day, we've had no crying when I left her to go into my office today hurrah!

P

Glad things are improving. People do underestimate the ammount of attension and commitment involved in bringing up a puppy. I think it is a real lifestyle choice and although I don't have kids, I sense that it is almost as big a deal as having a baby.

I only asked because I know some breeds require a lot more input and training than others. If you put the work in when he/she is a pup - you'll be OK.

L

a wee update then. my wee madam has got big and bad, was walking past the magazine rack yesterday in the shop, and my wee madam is on the cover of italian vogue, well not her exactly but a pug is on the cover, god help me it would appear my dog is trendy with the fashionistas. Is it wrong that that kinda annoys me, i just don;'t like this whole dog as fashion accessory thing. I also know that mine wouldnt put up with being put in one of those wee bags, plus shes a heavy lump lol!

Anyone else got a pet to avoid them getting woefully lonely and depressed?

H

We can all help you look after her, I'll have her tomorrow

S

i have a cat, lucy, we got her some 2 months ago from the pet home. she's about 10-13 years old and nobody wanted her anymore because of her age, and because she was very shy and scared in the pet-home and wouldn't let anyone approach her.
she has settled in wonderfully. she follows us around all the time and always finds a place to sleep in the same room where i or my partner currently are. just this morning, as soon as the alarm clock went off, she jumped on the bed and started walking all over us, making it very clear that it is now breakfast time she still doesn't like being picked up and only rarely cuddles on my lap, but we're getting there.
now i just want to stay at home all the time to cuddle my cat and so we can keep each other company!

K

Aw, I've thought about getting a puppy so many times, you know, what with being home a lot. But at the best of times I use any excuse to get distracted from work... I don't have great will power. You are lucky to have a pup, but yes, they DEMAND a lot of attention. My parents have dogs and I love going home to study there because knowing they need their walk really gets me out of bed in the morning and structures the day. Is your puppy old enough to go on vigorous walks yet i.e. more than 6 months old? If so, have you tried taking her on longish walks at key points in the day? If you do this, and bring lots of toys to play throw and fetch I find it tires them out (in a good way) so that they are calm and/or sleep for a good part of the time in between. It will definitely get better as she gets older.

C

hi i have a puppy- hes now nearly 9 months old. Hes a great company when working at home and my husband is at work all day but sometimes he can be a pain in the ass!! Rawhide bones from the pet shop are a life saver- currently he is happily sitting on the chair in my office at home, munching it - will keep him busy for a good hour. And then after lunch he'll come back to it again! He just follows me about. Yes a good walk is also good- then he curls up and sleeps in the office! Im learning quickly not to leave anything accessible - jaffa cakes on the windowsill were reached this morning and hes only a minature schnauzer