shoulder & neck pain...

... due to sitting in front of computer for years (and stress as my GP suggests). Who else gets these? What can you recommend? I've started swimming regularly, I hope it's going to help. I am now looking into ergonomic chairs but they are so expensive. I need to finish a chapter in 25 days and I can't stand the discomfort. Any tips?

Hi Postgrad Forum team. Apologies for double-posting this thread. I realised after posting that it wasn't really off-topic, and I would get more advice from the PhD Life section. Sorry again

No problem - the other one's gone now.

I wanted this one to go, and other one to stay. But nevermind

O

I started my PhD about 1.5 years ago and the last few months I had increasing neck pain to the point where I once woke up in the middle of the night with pain and could not move at all (i.e. get up or turn around).

So one may almost say that a PhD is not only bad for your psyche but also for the body?

I guess you are right Otto. Do you read looking down at your books at your desk? Apparently that is also bad for neck. I will try to change that habit and get one of those book holders that keep the book upright at monitor level.

H

Hi 404, I've also been getting shoulder and neck pain ever since I swapped from the lab to the computer.

I've been fixed by the chiropractor a few times, apparantly I tense up quite a lot making my shoulders rock-hard. It gets worse when its cold so I normally wrap a scarf round even in the office (due to AC).

sorry to hear that H. I think it's better to take it seriously and eliminate the factors causing the neck problems. I know a few people suffering with serious problems and neck hernia due to ignoring the symptoms for years.

H

Yep you are right. Another chiropractor showed me some exercises to do whilst at the computer to stop it getting so stiff.

It's worth going to see one but costs a bomb. I'm lucky my parents paid for it. I was off uni for a whole week once because I had driven down to my parents. My neck wasn't feeling great but then I went for a shower, came out and everything seized up and I couldnt even get dressed. Basically I couldn't drive back to uni and I made an appointment to see the chiropractor. Took a few days to get better and I couldn't sleep from the pain until I used one of those orthapedic (sp?) pillows.

I can't go too many nights without my pillow now either!

Thanks for that H. I've found the UK General Chiropractic Council and it shows a few registered ones in my area. I'll email them, and see if they do any concessions for students.

Look after your neck

B

I suggest to use an orthopedic pillow. It is also much cheaper than ergonomic chair and much useful. One of the major cause of the ache is bad posture so try to correct your posture. Other useful things are streching exercises and applying heat packs.
Swimming is good to strengthen the muscles but you should dry very well the hair otherwise it could be even worse with cold weather.

Thank you blue, great suggestions. I'll try a better pillow too (I managed to buy a very dodgy so-called Orthopaedic pillow from ebay last summer).

H

404 I have a really stiff neck since last night, it hurts to move my neck to the left and right (was only left last night)....

Oh nooo! :( I'm so sorry to hear that H. Homeopathic remedies sometimes work wonders. Have you tried arnica cream and arnica tablet?

I hope you'll get better soon. I can really understand how painful and annoying it is.