speculative job letter-anybody ever strike it lucky?

A

Has anybody ever struck it lucky after sending a speculative job letter to a firm/organisation? Is there any point?

D

======= Date Modified 14 Jun 2011 21:23:48 =======
Years ago, I sent hundreds of emails (hundreds - seriously!) over the course of a number of days and got a job as a result. Sadly my dream job turned out to be my worst nightmare but in priniciple the speculative email worked.

S

Yep, I got two interviews on the basis of spec applications. Make sure you really target the letter and your CV to the organisation! Follow up your spec application with a phone call. I felt like an idiot doing this and, yep, some people are very busy and will give you the brush off but I found one guy who was high up who wanted to pick my brain and I got an interview out of it. Turned out I took another job, but, in the end, what's the harm in trying?

P

It does work. worked on me..But of course in writing a letter or an email the use of the right words could be of great help for anyone who would like to convince another to agree or act up on something. The famous English writer, William Shakespeare, once said, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” http://www.toughbiz.com/2011/05/how-to-write-sexy-business-proposals.html

Keep on keeping on...

A

Delta, your experience sounds bad, really sorry to hear that, I hope it's well behind you now.
Stuff, your post is heartening - nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess

Thanks a mil :-)