State of the forum

Hi everyone,

I noticed there have been a lot of new posters recently and I would like to say welcome to everyone!

I don't want to be a pain but can I nudge people that are posting new threads to occasionally reply to other people, please :) This forum is a great place to talk, get advice and support from other PhD students but requires other people to post. We all go through issues during our PhD and everyone's advice is welcome. So please don't feel afraid to post.

Other than that how is everyone doing?

B

Quote From rewt:
Hi everyone,

I noticed there have been a lot of new posters recently and I would like to say welcome to everyone!

I don't want to be a pain but can I nudge people that are posting new threads to occasionally reply to other people, please :) This forum is a great place to talk, get advice and support from other PhD students but requires other people to post. We all go through issues during our PhD and everyone's advice is welcome. So please don't feel afraid to post.

Other than that how is everyone doing?

Agreed. It's the only way for it to work effectively.

All good, recently submitted and awaiting examination. How are you getting on?

Thanks for replying Bob86! I really appreciate it.

Congratulations on submitting! That must be such a relief, what does freedom feel like?

I am doing well, just plenty of lab work and I am putting of writing a paper. My supervisor is doing her usual lack of feedback routine, sent her a draft of a paper and they restructured it instead of commenting on the text. Granted it is a far better structure it is just frustrating that my supervisor seems incapable of giving feedback. Apart from that my PhD is ticking a long through 4th year.

B

Quote From rewt:

Congratulations on submitting! That must be such a relief, what does freedom feel like?

I am doing well, just plenty of lab work and I am putting of writing a paper. My supervisor is doing her usual lack of feedback routine, sent her a draft of a paper and they restructured it instead of commenting on the text. Granted it is a far better structure it is just frustrating that my supervisor seems incapable of giving feedback. Apart from that my PhD is ticking a long through 4th year.

Thank you. It was a long and arduous journey but thankfully its almost over! I now have to shift my focus towards job hunting while keeping an eye out for my viva arrangements which will happen slowly in the background.

Ah, the joys of acquiring supervisor feedback, I too encountered this difficulty at times. As you acknowledged, however, they (supervisor) often provide feedback in ways that we didn’t initially anticipate yet improves the overall flow of the content. If I recall correctly, your PhD is in Engineering right?

B

Quote From rewt:

Thank you. It was a long and arduous journey but thankfully its almost over! I now have to shift my focus towards job hunting while keeping an eye out for my viva arrangements which will happen slowly in the background.

Ah, the joys of acquiring supervisor feedback, I too encountered this difficulty at times. As you acknowledged, however, they (supervisor) often provide feedback in ways that we didn’t initially anticipate yet improves the overall flow of the content. If I recall correctly, your PhD is in Engineering right?

D

Dear, I have to write a motivational letter for the master's program, to which I am going to apply this year. So, I have to add my research interest. One of the requirements of the motivational letter says, - ' a brief description of the research the applicant would like to conduct within the framework of his master's thesis'. I want to know, should I have to write a conceptual framework and the methodology that I will follow, or do I have to write a short research proposal for this?
Thanks in advance.

Quote From bob86:

At least you have done the hard bit and sort of relax. I wish you luck on your viva!

I like my supervisor but through my entire PhD I don't think she has edited any of work except vague comment such as "you need to be less vague". When I say something about wanting more feedback she tells me that the reviewer will give me better feedback than her. I think she is a great supervisor but she makes the drafting process that bit harder. Rant over.

Quote From DistantLearner:
Dear, I have to write a motivational letter for the master's program, to which I am going to apply this year. So, I have to add my research interest. One of the requirements of the motivational letter says, - ' a brief description of the research the applicant would like to conduct within the framework of his master's thesis'. I want to know, should I have to write a conceptual framework and the methodology that I will follow, or do I have to write a short research proposal for this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Dsistant Learner, We are happy to help and more people can see it if you start a new thread for your own questions.