Studentship - feel like earning some money?

R

======= Date Modified 05 49 2009 11:49:00 =======
========== This thread had been moved ==========
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Hello

My close friend is in a lot of troubles because for many reasons it’s very hard to find any studentship for his PhD that he started in UK some time ago. He’s been fighting to get where he is now for many years and now due to lack of funding he’s been forced to work full time for quite a while already and his PhD is really seriously threatened. And it really makes me feel hopeless I cannot do anything about it. Plus, he wouldn’t accept any loan (not to mention from me) etc.
I don’t have an academic background and with no experience at all in this kind of research it’d have to turn it into a full time job to try to find something. And since I already have a full time job it’s not really feasible.
So, I decided to make an offer to anyone who already has an experience in scholarship/sponsorship issues and thinks (s)he might help. You give me what you are good in – a very concrete help with finding funding for my friend (doesn’t have to be something big or for long) and I pay you for your time and experience, proportionally to what you find. Just drop me a line if you are interested and then I’ll try to give you all the details you might need and we’ll discuss the financial matters.
I am sorry if some of you don’t find this request appropriate. To be honest, I don’t see anything inappropriate in it but knowing how different we all are I’m sure some of you might not like it and I’m not going to question it.
Anyway, I’m quite desperate seeing how deeply unhappy my friend is and really feel urged to do something. And I’m aware that this request might be quite unrealistic but decided to give it a try nevertheless.

Thank you in advance for any good general advices you might have but I suppose this will not help – I really need a concrete help here. And I can’t tell you more about his research here (or more other details) because I really really wouldn’t like him to find out in any way that I’m doing this – he would probably hate me for that :(

Well, thanks for reading and hope this will lead to something..
[email protected]

S

Hi Ribenna

Its very kind of you to be so concerned for your friend; but before you can receive offers of help we would need to know a few things. Firstly, what discipline he is in, and secondly where he is studying (is he an international student etc).

R

thanks for an anwser. it's just that i don't feel comfrortable with saying too many things about his research on forum because firstly there is always (i admit very slight) a chance he will find out about this thread and secondly, if i tell some things on forum, like his thesis title, it's really easy to locate who this person is..
i'll send you a PM though..