The PhD Insomniacs Thread

W

It's about half past 3 in the morning and I just can't sleep, worries related to my PhD and the progress I'm making, what I'm going to do for money when my PhD inevitably stretches in to a fourth year whirring in my mind. Funding opportunities for a post-doc are contingent on me finishing in around 3 years, and I just can't see this happening. Worries that we all doubtless face. I've just finished watching 300 to try and take my mind off things - really shouldn't have done that since it got my adrenaline racing - what a good film!
So, I've decided to start a thread for insomniacs. Should anyone find themselves bereft of sleepiness, you can post on this thread to say hello to anyone else about in a similar situation. My hope is that insomnia need not be as isolating as a PhD, if you don't want it to be. So, nocturnal owls of cerebral mania, say hello if you're about at any point in the wee small hours.:-)

C

Been awake since 3:30am after having a messed up nightmare about viva. The exam was around a huge aquarium and the external was trying to pull out some scary poisonous jellyfish and sharks. wtf, I know. Now it's 4:30 :-s

S

OK, my turn. I knew this thread would come in handy Walminski. It's 5.15am here, and I've been lying awake in bed since 3.30am - the dreaded 3am insomnia. I'm currently working for a few weeks in the civil service, and a really good job has just come up - but I can't apply as I'm writing up till end June. So have been lying there, working out that if I did apply, and they were really slow in recruiting, then I might not have to start till end March - which is still 3 mths earlier than I can manage. I was supposed to finish my PhD by end Mar, and this would've been perfect!

Oh well, no point torturing myself. And I was going to get up at 6am anyway, as I need to finish off something that's due to my sup today, so here I am, tired (went to bed late too) and about to start writing, then off to my office job for the day.

It's going to be a looooong day......