the Unemployed graduate.

K

Hi guys,

I guess i am one of the many unemployed graduates from 2014.
I graduated with a 2.2 in Graphic Design from the university of Lincoln.
Was so happy to graduate and finally be done and I managed to land myself a job in my field, turns out my experience was awful, ridiculous hours, getting paid less than min wage and been asked to do things way above my level. i ended up leaving after a couple of months of working in such an awful environment.

I quickly managed to get a retail job - only a temp, but better than nothing, now that contract is over I am now unemployed again, looking for something new. I've been applying for graphic design jobs, even though I have been put off due to my bad experience and the whole important job thing still seems scary to me i guess because of my bad experience my confidence has been effected.

I'm still looking for retail work as well, but When i was working in my retail job I felt untested and was questioning why I had worked 4 hard years to end up with a retail job..
its just a confusing time right now, it seems after finishing university we get flung out in to the world with not much help or advice. I see a lot of people from my course also in the same situation too, which is just really disheartening.

I just wondered if anyone else is feeling this strange feeling of not been quite sure what to do next or how things will end up? have you had a bad experience in employment after uni too or are you still looking?

I'm doing everything i can to get a job, it doesn't matter what job it is right now,.. I'm just annoyed that my university painted a picture which wasn't like this they acted like everything would be so easy for us all, turns out, its the opposite.

B

The majority of the time, it isn't your previous experience that limits you, but the way in which you fill out applications. "It's much easier to get the job than it is to do the job."

Have you sought much advice from your university careers service (If that's still an option)? I found mine to be very helpful.

Relevant voluntary experience whilst unemployed, even if it's only for a couple of weeks, is always something good to do.

What jobs are you applying for, and do they have a minimum qualification? Many companies require at least a 2:1, or a 2:2 + masters degree (Or experience of course!). Would it be worth applying for a Masters course in your subject area?