Transcription issues - Qualitative Research

E

Hi Rick it is similar to that, but instead of assigning values to particular words it involves analysing the deep order of the interactional prosody of the talk in order to get an indications of how participants understand and interpret the other person's talk.

For example, a pause of more than one second in response to an invitation will signal to the asker that you are going to respond negitively, and might even prompt them to alter their invitation without you saying anything If you then say 'yes' they will probably doubt your answer. Next time someone asks you if you want to go somewhere, don't answer for a little while if you can and see how the asker reacts (a second seems a long time in conversation though )

I recommend looking up Garfinkel's breaching experiements, this is what inspired the creation of conversation analysis. He, as a lecturer, got his class to go home and violate social and interactional rules to see what happened

R

Thanks Eppi,

that is interesting. So you experiment it with the principle in real life? I recognise from "normal" conversations, if you ask a question, and there is a pauze in responding, that the person answering the question probably does not agree. I usually say something like: You do not seem convinced. Then the responder often indicates what he/she really thinks! Interesting!

Are these theories "evidence based"?

E

Haha it can definately be fun to experiment in real life, and from what you say you definately have an intuitive knack at it. Although I have to try not to think conersation analytically in my day to day social life or I think it might start analysing everything and go bonkers! And I think my other half suffers enough already!

It's still a relatively new field, started in 1975 (by Harvey Sacks) and based in sociology and linguistics, so some analyses are still exploratory forays into the structure of interaction in different contexts. There is a broad base of research on the analysis of ordinary conversation though, and lots of empirical evidence from which other new research in other contexts can be framed (thank goodness).

Thanks Rick, its so nice to have someone interested in my work

K

Hi doc2008,

Hope you are good. I am new to this forum. I googled for transcription work, am in India, and I found your thread. After reading your concern I thought if I might be of any help to you or someone who's in a similar situation. I have done some transcription in the past for legal, surveillance and business meetings (US&UK) and was thinking if it's possible to relieve you of some burden of your analysis work. I haven't done it before however if you still have the requirement and have no objections in trying my helping hand, please let me know.
As a precursor, if we go ahead, I was thinking of getting files from you over net and then sending back to you after transcribing some initial part. I read you took 5 hrs, so, I might take longer for such work however pace would increase with time.

Please let me know your views.
Thanks and take care.

L

======= Date Modified 11 Jul 2009 06:23:21 =======
omg haha it's all going in the right way for some more infor about this transcriptin can look at it www.transcriptionservicesprovider.com

P

Quote From littleflower4f:

======= Date Modified 11 Jul 2009 06:23:21 =======
omg haha it's all going in the right way for some more infor about this transcriptin can look at it www.transcriptionservicesprovider.com

moderators, please remove this trash...?

S

Hi

I'm doing qual research in social sciences, based on interviews. I had the option of getting funding to get the interviews transcribed, but decided to do it myself. Even though it's slow - it takes me about 3 hours to do 40 minutes of interview, I find that it gives me time to think and analyse. I make notes on the transcription as I go, so then over time I can see themes developing. I get ideas as I transcribe, and get to know the material really well. Transcribing interviews myself works for me.