What is your teaching style and how does this affect students' learning?

O

http://www.oswego.edu/plsi/teachingacrosstype.htm

I found this great website that talks about not only your own learning style but how that impacts your TEACHING style, and how to be aware of your natural preferences, strengths and weaknesses as you teach, and how to moderate those to interact with groups of students ( all of whom will have their own preferred learning style). I found this very thoughtful and insightful, plenty to reflect on!

And I thought that others that are teaching might have some interest in this as well--and I highly recommend checking out all of the resources on the website!

A

That's really useful, thanks! I'm an ISTJ on Myers-Briggs (it's insanely accurate for me), so I'm all about backing up your position with facts, and I hate group work with a fiery passion. I try really hard not to let this dominate my teaching, since I teach English and many of my students are either extroverts or (more difficult for me to get my head round) feelings-led.

O

I am an ENFP, and I go mad with boredom in lectures ( I even go mad with boredom sitting through a two hour film, so its not necessarily a reflection on the quality of the lecture, I just don't do well sitting that long passively). I think that is interesting Alice that your type hates group work, my type loves it, and in between there are lots of other types that will learn better through different methods, the challenge I suppose is finding that ground that reaches everyone. No wonder there is temptation to creep back to the tried and true albeit dull straight lecture method--but I am trying to find different interactive learning exercises, beyond the classic small group work, along with a mix of lecture during my teaching periods.

The risk with small group work is that some more extroverted people can end up "taking over" their group or the discussion--and this can be very off putting to more introverted types--or say students who come from a culture where its considered rude to speak up and engage during the class.

If anyone has ideas or experiences ( good or bad) I would be thrilled to hear them.