What type of postgraduate are you?

P

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/comment/story/0,,2079342,00.html

I hope I'm a 6, but conceed a touch of the 2's about me!

P

None of them fit me perfectly, but being on the verge of leaving university after 13 years, I am probably a 3. Wish I was an 8 though!

P

Awww piglet I am sure you could survive anywhere, but I think it's nice you might have a mouse in your pocket. Chin up honey, how's the finishing off going?

S

Once I thought I was 3, but university is making me miserable, so maybe not. Mostly a 6.

H

I'm none of them really, I'm doing a phd because I need the qualification for the job I want in industry but also in the same area......dunno

combination of 2 and 6

O

I'm afraid I'm number four.

I think this forum has been inspiring to many student writers. I have a feeling like Patrick Tomlin follows this forum regularly.

J

I like this guy: I only heard of him when someone (was it Ann or Pea?) posted one of his columns a while ago, but he's a sharp observationist.

J

404, have you ever noticed news programmes quote from forums? Recently Channel 4 news quoted comments left on a teachers' forum, and I've seen nurses' forum's used too.

You never know, one day we may end up on there

S

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Pea. I just googled the guy and found this (his first column?) - http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/postgraduate/story/0,,1864726,00.html - it really hits the nail on the head (and made me laugh a little as a result ).
"...I must choose between no doctorate, or completing my thesis but ending up with a mental illness. It's tough, but I think I'd rather be Dr Depressed, on the basis that wasting three years of my life and then having to compete for jobs with 21-year-olds whose souls are not weighed down by bitterness would probably make me depressed anyway"
[but if you're reading, Patrick, you're probably generally right about science, but there are exceptions - you CAN end up doing science in isolation]

P

What if patrick is among us ?!
What if Patrick is really 404, H, Sue, Piglet or even....moi?

H

Yes it is I.

I tricked you all into thinking I was a woman but I am infact actually Patrick.

J

i'm an 8

N

2 I think... but progressing towards 6... or even 8