Your views on internet dating sites?

K

I'm just interested to know what people think of this or if anybody has positive/negative experiences to share. I find it extrememly difficult to meet nice people whom I've got something in common with in bars and of course doing a PhD can be isolating, but I've always just thought the internet dating thing was not for me. I'm not interested in having an email relationship but I've started recently to come around to the idea that maybe it's not such a bad arena in which to (forgive me!) cut through all the dross. What do others think?

B

I don't know. It works for some people I guess, but I'm just too suspicious about how much people lie online. There's also a safety issue I think, because you can never be sure who you're talking too - good sites have guidelines about not giving away too much information too soon - always best to follow them.

You mention cutting out the dross, but personally I think it's far easier to do that in the real world rather than the virtual one.

That said, I'm sorry you find it difficult to meet nice people and if you do decide to try finding someone onine, I wish you the best of luck.

P

I met my husband this way.....
Tho' I'd advise being v careful and we didn't get 'close' before 'dating' in real life, which I think is the best way. Emotional investment in people you really don't know can be v damaging...

L

I found networking sites are a bit better, myspace offers a browse option but facebook is also very good, you can read peoples profiles and send them messages etc without having something as serious as the internet dating vibe over the top of it.

S

======= Date Modified 06 Feb 2009 09:23:17 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Removed - irrelevant content & advertising

P

Ok, Sharsoonidhi, your post makes little (if any) sense to me. This is a "post graduate forum" where "post graduates" or would-be post graduates come to discuss their Masters/Phd experiences, like admissions, applications, writing, finishing, etc etc.

P

Ok, Sharsoonidhi, your post makes little (if any) sense to me. This is a "post graduate forum" where "post graduates" or would-be post graduates come to discuss their Masters/Phd experiences, like admissions, applications, writing, finishing, etc etc.

S

Well maybe that's why the post is in the 'Off Topic' section, where we can talk about absolutely anything!!

P

Aboslutely squiggles, agree completely.

My point was not in response to OP, but to the post below mine, which has smething about cocaine addicts etc...it is this one that made no sense to me, and still doesnt. OP and discussions following it are just fine :)

P

Also, suprisingly the moderators seemed to agree that the content was "irrelevant"!! So, indeed, maybe I was right!

T

======= Date Modified 06 Feb 2009 09:47:32 =======

S

Ah, I apologise Phdbug. :-)