100 day viva

R

hey guys,

anyone else prepping for one of these in january?

i was told i had to produce at least 10000 words for it and i produced 15000 and a prezi presentation to go with!

then after i submitted (and my supervisor was loving my work), we were informed that wrong info had been circulated and these were the requirements for the confirmation viva in june LOL (and by LOL i mean :-s)

i was greatly pissed off until i realised i have essentially already worked up my phd to expectations not usually met until june! still, all i have to produce is a four page report. ludicrous.

anyone in this boat?

happy christmas/holidays!

P

I never heard of a 100 day Viva, but did have a mini-viva in June which was 9 months after starting my PhD. Sounds like you are off to a good start and have a good literature review already. If you are ahead of the curb in your PhD then stay that way! Its so easy to get behind.

Happy holidays.

L

You have a form of Viva after only 100 days of starting your PhD? Or 100 days prior to your confirmation viva - which I take it would be further in. I'm not sure I understand!

That is very poor administration, to circulate such incorrect information. They should really have a research handbook where all the requirements are formally laid out for consultation. Either way, well done on having now achieved a goal well in advance! (up)

R

yeah guys, don't get me wrong, i'm happy enough to have done the harder work now and stay ahead of the game for the time being! still, was a pain in the ass writing so much so early esp when it wasn't really required!!

yes, the 100 day viva is a thing at my university and onle a few others it would seem- basically so you don't get to your confirmation viva and completely lose it...sort of a way of tracking your progress a few months in. with so many people at the uni being government funded, i suppose it lets them keep tabs on their money, you know.

anyone else have any assessments pending?

T

hey Guys,

I am trying to prepare for one of these as well. I dont really know how to approach the presentation. I think i am going to do it on the revised proposal and maybe a bit more detail on specific theories.

As far as a report, it seems to be more informal in my university.

We have to do a report but its about training and supervisors, that sort of thing.
Although still freaking me out. I think Christmas is out the window.

Anyway Happy Holidays!!!!!

R

hey tigger!
im in university of ulster, where you at?

from what i can see, it shouldn't be too much bother, fairly informal like apart from the presentation, certainly nothing to lose a christmas over :P. That is to say the report seems fairly informal and concerns how you feel it's all goin so far!

thoughts?

T

yeah me at university at ulster too!

yeah had a think about it all. Went to see my supervisor today.  Going to do the report this week. Have a break for Christmas, then tackle the presentation after.

i think i will struggle with the presentation, as i am unsure how to tackle it (what approach to take) Is it an overview or more specific to the area?

:-)

R

hey, im faculty of arts, whereabouts are you? they ran a little presentation for us in arts to give us an idea of what the viva is and how to do it and also what the confimration viva will be like.

from what i gather, its an overview of where you see the project going and what you have done to date! best to check with supervisor though!

u in the uni often?

Ciarán

T

hey TwankyPHD,

Yeah i am in Arts as well. Media. I think i know who you are. Is your supervisor Greg, mine is Anne. 

I have done the report and started the presentation. I am approaching it as an outline of my research, and justification of why i am doing it. Etc.

It is the speech that goes along with the power-point that i am struggling with. I don't know how much detail to put in it. 15mins seems like a long time.

I try not to go into Uni, as i can never work there. Tried in my Undergad to work in the Library but need music, food and some background noise. lol Go in for classes and to see supervisors but apart from that do most of the stuff at home.

How you getting on with your Viva prep?

R

hahaha yes, i think we know each other!

emmmmmm, i'm getting on alright. nearly done to be honest. maybe another days work left!

i know, i think i can only go into detail on the stuff i've already done...the other stuff is in the future and is therefore all speculative! fifteen minutes really will fly by like!! i did a forty minute paper at the symposium and it flies in!

we will rule. my viva is the first of the bunch. grim!

T

Hey, TwankyPHD

How's the presentation preparation going. I have done the report and the power-point but it seems long.

How many slides is yours?

I am getting anxious about it now. I think it's more the questions rather than standing up in front people. lol

Meeting with my supervisor tomorrow and going to do a run through of everything.

:-)

R

yo yo tigger. met my supervisor last friday, finalising my presentation today. i don't use powerpoint, i use this software called prezi where you essentially draw a big map and then when you click, it zooms about to a specific part so it's just one big slide. sorry, i realise that doesnt help at all!!!

yeah, i wonder what i'm to be asked. i was meant to be the first of the bunch but now greg can't make it so i don't even know when it is. :( grim.

still, from what i gather, we should all be grand!