1month Into My PhD and I already have issues!

M

Another day in the Lab , and Im getting to know my colleage i.e. Another PhD Student , He seems to know everything about everything. He doesnt act superior but his past experiences in organic synthesis reactions Pre-PhD at various laboratories- Pfizer, GSK and more, really make me feel inadequate as a new PhD Student! He knows so much practical stuff( laboratory related), Pre- Phd (He just started his PhD 4 months ago so he's kinda new!)
Being New, I have to lean on him and a few others to show me around.. and arrrgghh, I really dont like asking for help (Yes yes, Im getting over that! Kinda have to!)
Its just that , I know there is lots to learn , and that im up for, I love to learn, its just that its more stressful when your colleague who is the same age know so much more, and I fell like an Idiot around him!

C

Hey Missinhome,

I had a hard time asking for help around labs too, mainly because I was afraid I'd be bothering others. Don't feel like an idiot, it's normal to feel new to it all but you'll be used to it all within 4 months if not less. It's good he's not acting superior so just use his knowledge as it'll be valuable to you at this stage, and ask others so you don't only depend on him. At the end of the day, you're doing a PhD that only you will be specialized in, so very soon enough you will know more about your work than him. Try not to think of his past work experience too much, I had work experience before doing my PhD but it wasn't as useful as I thought it'd be.

CB x

B

Its called experience. Don't worry - you'll get there and before you know it and whether you like it or not, you will be the expert in your particular field. Ok, can be daunting relying on people but I would be of the opinion if you are receptive to their advice, etc., people won't mind helping.
So what if he is the same age as you ... you probably are way better than him at writing reports. Not that its a competition, but some people pick up stuff faster or have already worked in such an environment.
If it was a year into working in the lab, I'd be worried but its not.

A

What the others said tbh.
You're not an idiot, he's just had more experience right now. You'll probably learn quickly enough. I know it's horrible feeling like you're interrupting people with really inane questions, but you've got to ask them to start with plus the more you ask the quicker you'll learn. Just be glad you've got people not too far ahead of you that you can go to for advice I guess.