1st Year PhD

P

So, you know what it's like. After the exams of your final, got your PhD place. You met up with your supervisor, very enthusiastic. He gave you a reading list for the summer, great, something to do. Once you got home, yeah, I will read them later. After 3 months, you realise you have read absolutely nothing. You are going to start your PhD next week, have to see your supervisor again. Gosh, how am I supposed to read 5 books in a week?

Now, you wonder, why was I so enthusiastic? Do I even want to start? What am I supposed to do?

X

It's alright we all do the same thing!
I'm really interested in my subject but of course as soon as it becomes a DUTY or you HAVE to do it, it's no longer a choice (especially if the grant is your source of income) - it's pretty much alienation ;)
I have a like a million books I was supposed to read and by the end of first year had probably read 3 and just glanced through the rest!!!

P

Cheers! I know I shouldn't be moaning when people actually pay me to do my PhD. I guess I just have to forget about online games for the next 3 (or more, hopefully less than 4) years.

S

You will learn from your mistakes but try to avoid any major ones in 1st year. Not reading, not writing when you are supposed to do that happens all over the PhD. Thats what I am doing even now(as soon as I finish writing this I am going back to my thesis writing!). Just as a starting point, if you have to read 5 books, give them a priority order by relevance. Then start with the first most relevant book and the most relevant part or chapter of that book then you will get into what you need to read next. Maybe this would work for you maybe you will find a another startegy, anyhow just stick at it, there is no other way.