2 questions about PhD

R

Hi all

1)I'm wondering how long it took to hear back once you applied for a PhD? It's been about 5 weeks since i submitted and no response from any of the unis yet.

2) Would it be a bad idea to do a part time research job whilst doing my PhD in terms of it interfering with time spent on my PhD? (i'm in the social sciences and looking to earn money whilst doing the PhD)

Thanks in advance

J

1) Remember, this is August. Most academic staff are taking their holiday around this time, so five weeks sounds pretty normal. If they don't reply by September, you can enquire with a secretary.

2) Yes, it will interfere. There are many reasons to do part-time jobs but people can tell you what they want - it will eat up valuable time during the PhD and is therefore not advisable. Depending on the nature of the job and/or the weekly hours, this might be different, of course.

R

well its a project at my Uni, about 10 hours a week, would that be too much?

J

Most definitely. I say that because I was supposed to work 5 hours a week, but as in the nature of things I ended up getting more and more work. If they say 10 hours, be prepared that it will a considerably higher amount of hours in real terms. If it's teaching, don't forget preparation. If it's lab-based, don't forget the time to prepare for experiments.

From my own experience, I just wouldn't recommend it. In fact, I would even warn you. The nature of a full-time PhD is the danger to take on additional work whereas three years of full-time CONCENTRATION and FOCUS (sorry, no bold function on this forum) are needed.

R

thanks jouri. I think perhaps I may be underestimating the nature of doing a PhD, i'm kind of wondering now what I am letting myself in for

B

researcherboy - I'd half agree with jouri (10 hours work does roughly translate to 15 before ya know it!) but that said, you do need to build up ca$h. The PhD is your #1 priority, but what I would reckon you do is take on the work but cut back if it is getting in the way. You should have time in your first year and if it is seen that you are a good worker in this part time role, you will be able to get more used to it and will probably be offered the role again in the future.
Its a fact that PhDers need part time work from time to time (either that or live like a Trappist monk a for 3-4 years) and the fact that your part-time work is on campus is extremely convenient.
As jouri did say, the PhD process is hard but don't forget theres a whole load of us here if ever stuck.

B

Just in addition - why I would say to get some form of part-time is to prepare for
a. The rainy day expenses - Nurofen only stops toothaches for a few days
b. Usual big expenses such as car insurance/tax etc.
c. The much needed breaks - Plan them and take them. They will keep ya sane and remind ya of the "other" world
You'll probably find that even a few hours a week (4-5 teaching) will make a huge difference to the monthly paypacket and still not totally take up all your time.
Good luck and keep posting

P

I've had a part time job throughout my PhD. I'm in my third year now (it's a social science PhD). Personally I think it's been beneficial to have something that is a total break away from the PhD each week. Yes it eats into my study time but it also means that I am much more focussed and productive during my study time as I know that it is limited.
Plus the extra money helps!