2 weeks ago I had my viva...my experience

T

Hello I thought I'd tell you about my viva as there are some horror stories in this and other forums (fora?).

I can summarise it in a few words: it was great, I enjoyed every minute of it.Of course I was really worried beforehand but my examiners really liked my thesis , they put me at ease immediately and it was all very complimentary.

Both examiners were impressed by the depth and thoroughness and of my research, said that my findings are innovative and my theoretical frame convincing! They asked me to clarify a few (easy) things, noted a couple of typos (d'oh!), and then wrapped it up, recommending I publish the thesis as a monograph & suggested a job I should apply for and then they sent me home with a huge pat on the back.

I had to correct a few typos only (took 15 mins to do) and my doctorate was awarded in a matter of a few days.

I struggled during my PhD because my supervisor was a hard taskmaster but all that nitpicking and confrontation then made for a super thesis. I am saying this because if you are struggling (as i was) it does not necessarily mean that you are a muppet (as I felt many times) but because you are growing as a scholar and that may be a painful process sometimes.

Keep on keeping on, there is an end on sight, which is a new beginning.

Congratulations Trilla, sounds like a fantastic viva, well done and happy celebrations.

T

Congrats Trilla + thanks so much for sharing!

Well done.....just one question, how did you select that super theoretical conceptual framework?
Really interested to know Dr Trilla

T

Thank you Pjlu and Tudor it means a lot to receive nice messages - I was so surprised about this success :)

And thank you Pursue. I have been reading your message last night and *really* want to thank you because I was hoping to talk about this in the viva but never happened!

I'd say the process is very simple - I started with my data first (whatever that may be, numerical, textual, archival) and pondered what was the biggest issue that came out from my data, filtering the noise and getting right to the heart of things. I think part is essential. Basically, what is this all about?

Then I found out who wrote about this issue, keeping my eyes open as much as I could, I followed a lot of empty leads and finally decided to analyse two different approaches... and was able to argue that they are not opposite but dialectical and their join application can provide an angle to move beyond some old theoretical and gnoseologic impasses.

Finally, I did not say my theoretical framework was super... only "convincing" - that and other things made for a "super" thesis... perhaps hyperbolic, let's say a significant piece of work :D

Have a good day all and best of luck to all, especially to those who are struggling... as I said in my previous message the struggle does not necessarily mean that you are failing. Do not confuse struggle with failure. I wish something had told me this.

T

The process is methodologically simple... but getting there was not simple at all. Its always "easy" once it's done!!