20 hour part-time job with full time funded PhD?

B

======= Date Modified 13 Aug 2012 16:32:09 =======
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has (or has had) a full-time studentship and a part-time job? An opportunity has arisen for a 20 hour a week job involving teaching in my area. It sounds great, but do you think this would be possible with a full-time funded PhD?

On a practical level, I'm soon going into my third year and have a full first draft of my thesis, so work wise I think this would be okay. But I'm wondering whether the ESRC would allow this? They are very vague in their guidelines, only suggesting that it shouldn't interfere with your studies, and that the part-time job can't be permanent (which it isn't, it's fixed term). I'll send an email to the ESRC person at our uni for more info, but just wondered what you all thought.

Would you apply?

P

I was funded by the AHRC and was only allowed to do 6 hours of teaching and 6 hours of any outside jobs a week as long as it didn't interfere with my work. I think most funding bodies are the same so I would make sure you get the full facts. If the closing date of the job is near, I would apply anyway as you can always stop the application if it's too many hours. And it would be a shame to miss out, if you were allowed to do it. But do think carefully about the workload.

B

Thanks Pam, I'm awaiting word from the ESRC people at my uni, so will see what they say.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

L

Hi Button,

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't apply. Ignoring possible conflicts with funding, I'm coming to the end of my third and final year and have found it to be the most stressful. I can't imagine what it would be like with a 20 hour job on top of that. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible, especially considering it sounds like you are further ahead than I was at the start of my third year. Even so, I think it's a lot of pressure to put yourself under. As I say, it's just my opinion.

All the best

B

Thankyou, I'm just so torn about it all because it's a great opportunity, and would really set me up for post-PhD work. Obviously I don't know if I'd get it, but I want to apply having thoroughly thought about it.

Any other advice?

J

I think you should give it a go. I am not saying that PhD study is like Masters level studies, I know that, but 20 hours doesn't seem alot. I mean definetly apply for it, and then decide if/when you get it. I mean if 20 hours does feel like alot then, ask for 15 for e.g.

I am wandering if you could reply to my thread, I am applying for a scholarship for a Phd, and really desparately need it guaranteed, which means my letter and application form has to be a winner. I have wrote a post about it.

Jatinda

K

Hey, I'm fully funded too and currently have a part-time job at the weekend 10+ hours which both my supervisors are aware of. My funding body had no rules on part time work and my Uni says over 6 hours must have approval from your supervisor. My supervisor basically told me as long as it doesn't cause me to fall behind in my phd work then no one cares. He said as long as I put in full time hours Mon-Fri what I do at the weekend isn't an issue.

Don't think my case really helps you with yours but as you've already finished most of your work (if you have a thesis first draft complete) then I'd speak to your supervisor first and go from there, you might find he/she thinks it's a great opportunity for you.

Good luck!

S

Button, you have mentioned that you're ahead of schedule anyway so it may be worth considering taking it... how long is it for? When is your thesis deadline?

B

Thanks for all your thoughts! Well I've decided to apply for it. My sup is really supportive and agrees it would be a great opportunity, and has given her approval as I'm so far ahead with my thesis. Hope I get it!

C

They are very vague in their guidelines, only suggesting that it shouldn';t interfere with your studies, and that the part-time job can';t be permanent (which it isn';t, it';s fixed term). I';ll send an email to the ESRC person at our uni for more info, but just wondered what you all thought.

Would you apply?

I'm surprised by this because EPSRC states no more than six hours a week and it must be related!

B

Quote From cplusplusgirl:

They are very vague in their guidelines, only suggesting that it shouldn't interfere with your studies, and that the part-time job can't be permanent (which it isn't, it's fixed term). I'll send an email to the ESRC person at our uni for more info, but just wondered what you all thought.

Would you apply?

I'm surprised by this because EPSRC states no more than six hours a week and it must be related!

Yes it does seem unusual, but I guess even if they are related in some way they are still separate funding bodies who obviously make their own rules up!