24 hour access to facilities: Reality or a distant dream....?

B

Hi fellow PG Researchers!

Can you tell me if your University allows you 24 hour access to the following please?

* Own office with computer
* PG Common room with own computer space
* PG Common room with shared computer space
* Library with computer facilities

I am trying to persuade my Uni to provide this for our PGR research students. We currently have our office and own space open until 7pm (M-F) and 5pm (W/E) and a PG CR open until 9:30 Mon-Fri and 7:30 at weekends with a shared space. Library is open until 8:30 M-F and 6 at the w/e... But as most of you know you can't turn your brain off for a while whilst you pack up files/laptop/equipment and move to another desk. I need evidence of other UK HEI's which grant PG students 24 hour access. If yours does, can you please reply stating which institute and security measures - key pad or swipecard?

Many thanks, it's much appreciated

BendyPC :-)

M

I'm at Essex
1.  The PG's have a shared office in our department with some computers (that just about work) and some shelving space. We have our own key and so can access it anytime.
2 & 3. There is a PG common room - but it is more a space for eating and sleeping.
4. There is a 24 hour (except weekend and holidays) reading room at the side of the library with wi-fi and computers. (We also have a number of 24 hour computer labs)

Hope this helps.

N

Eating and sleeping in the PG Common room... I though I was being weird nearly living in my office, but I'm not sleeping there yet :D I'm at Essex/Writtle by the way, and so is Bendy :)

S

I'm at Leeds. My School allows me access to my shared office (it's technically a six-person office, but only me and another guy show up) whenever I want. We have keys to the building (which is mostly just teaching rooms and PGR offices with few staff or School offce) and to our offices. But, I also know that other Schools don't offer the same thing and some don't even offer office space.

I know at Sheffield there is a 24hr library with computers and everything.

How big is your uni?

B

Thanks guys it's really helpful. Our uni is a HEI with FE provisions and is not overly larger. We have about 380 resident students and about 1200 (ish) HE's with only about 20 PGR students. We have a lovely shared office capable of fitting at least 16, but only 4/5 of us use it regularly - then it is closed at 7pm - just as I get into my "groove".... There is not access to anything after hours but I am trying to get that changed at present - need all the luck I can get!

C

We have 24 access to our shared office with own computer, large desk and shelves as we have keys/access codes to the buildings but sadly no common room so we can only sleep and eat at our desks. The library's open until midnight during term time and weekends during holidays but closes at normal home during the holidays.

J

UWE Bristol here, there's 24 access to library inc weekends, not sure about the commons rooms or office as I'm part time and not there much:-)

S

Quote From bendypaperclips:

Thanks guys it's really helpful. Our uni is a HEI with FE provisions and is not overly larger. We have about 380 resident students and about 1200 (ish) HE's with only about 20 PGR students. We have a lovely shared office capable of fitting at least 16, but only 4/5 of us use it regularly - then it is closed at 7pm - just as I get into my "groove".... There is not access to anything after hours but I am trying to get that changed at present - need all the luck I can get!

Wow....that's tiny. Leeds has around 35,000 students; Sheffield has 25,000. I imagine that size is an issue that will pop up.