39 days to go!!!

A

Ahhhh!!

I just counted up the days I have left, and there's really not much!! I still have to write 2 whole chapters, finish one, and get corrections for most of the rest! And I've not even started the references, appendices etc! Oh my oh my!!

But I will not freak out, rather, I'm quite looking forward to when this ends! I'm planning all sorts of fun things and trips when I'm finished, and really looking forward to getting to actually spend some proper time with my friends for the first time in months!

I'm not planning this as an accountability thread or anything, just a place to post the latest, and remind myself that I'm actually looking forward to finishing! Feel free to join in!!:-)

A

First fun thing - a weekend in london with one of my bestest mates ever, day spa included! Nice!

P

Hey Algaequeen,

I counted the number of days yesterday as well- certainly motivating!!!! (and definitely scary!!) I have exactly 55 days until I submit, so not long at all. Although definitely scary, the count down has reminded me that this will all be over soon!

I have 1 more chapter to write and corrections etc etc to cope with so your definitely not alone with things to do and I'm doing everything I can to keep calm and not freak out or panic!

We can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooo I've not even thought about fun things to do- good idea!!! I would LOVE to go on holiday- somewhere nice and exotic (5 star all the way!) after my viva (hopefully to celebrate!)......last time I went away for a proper holiday was 2003 so I think I deserve a holiday! ;)

A

It's motivating and terrifying Pineapple!
I just emailed my sup to check he got a chapter last week, after promising me a 48hr turnaround for corrections it's been a week with no response..and I got an out of office reply, saying he's gone til mid August! wtf?!! I really really really hope he's still checking emails, he's got 3 students submitting in a month!! I don't need the stress!
Hope you're having a good day Pineapple! A holiday sounds amazing too, I haven't had one in ages either...

S

We're all so close now! Counted up the days I have left too, and I submit in 53 days!! Hope your sup reads your chapter AQ, surely he will...

Oh yeh, a holiday! Am going to go to a resort in the tropics - lovely. OK, back to it..

A

Hey folks, we've gone from year to go, 6 month count down and now this!! WOW, we really are getting there eh!

Well, I've just counted the days, and ideally, I want it in in 11 days.......HAHA, but otherwise i've got maximum 21, but want it in on 23rd (16days!) if possible! Sounds silly cos i've got afew days and not a definite, but that's generally cos my sup hasn't been back to me either so I know the feeling AQ!

I hope he gets back to you really soon! I submitted my chapter 5 to him 2 weeks yesterday and he's not opened email yet - this is after him telling me that I will have it in mid august and to stop complaining!!! he also still has my discussion to read and for me to correct (but I've not even started it yet, that's my job for the next 4 days, giving him very little turnaround!)

On the other hand I have tidied all references and checked each one in the text, done all my abbreviations and tables/lists etc of contents, acknowledgments etc. So I have discussion and summary to write (dreading both), especially the summary how can you possible sum it all up in 300 words?????

Anyway, this thread is not for a moan, but for excitement, and I do have some of that, I can't believe it's all going to be over sooo soon, I think there's a tiny bit of relief starting to hit in and its making me very tired (in conjunction with being off other job for 2 weeks so actually winding down from that and focussing on one thing!), but I can't be tired as I have to have full energy to finish this.

Coffee, red bull, haribo, crisps and soup is the answer!!

My partner and I have massive plans for finishing, although he's doing a masters so finishes next summer, and we're going to go away to France for a couple of weeks and hire a villa, and chill out in a home from home together. We also have other trips in mind such as 3 weeks around Europe and a tropical beach!! We just can't wait to start our lives, we've been together 6 years and pretty much spent all of it studying, so we have plans for the big stuff like houses, weddings and babies too - I can't wait!!!

In the meantime though while he finishes, my best friend just had a baby, Abby, and she doesn't live close by so i'm going to go for a much needed visit, and meet my little niece! and hopefully get a holiday with my other friend away somewhere in November! And apart from that, just spend time with my friends and family without feeling GUILT!!! :)

Anyway, i'm going to go and get my coffee and get sorted for a day of discussion planning...has anyone done there discussion, how bad is it going to be???

Good luck folks, we're all really really close now!!!
AL

A

oops, thats a short story, sorry!! :)

AL x

A

lol that's grand Alpacalover!! Your plans sound great girls, I'd love a holiday in the tropics Sue!! I'm so jealous! I think though as I can't find a job yet I'll have to be somewhat sensible and party closer to home!
My plans are to have a week or so just chilling with my family, visiting cousins and friends from home that I haven't seen much of in ages. One cousin has just got engaged and another has moved into a house with his girlf who is also an old friend of mine so I need to spend some time doing normal things like dropping round for tea and a chat on a Saturday afternoon, omg I'm so excited about that! :-)
I'm also going to visit a friend in England who moved over a while ago and I haven't seen his house yet so going over for a weekend which I'm sure will be mad partying, I'll see my brother in London and spend a weekend in London with another friend who is finishing her 2 year masters in September as well! Although that last bit will be after the viva!

I got an email from my sup about my chapter, he said he got it (last Friday) and will have a look at it when he's back from holiday (next week). After telling me 48hour turnaround. nice. Anywhoo I'm working on chapter 6 at the mo, hopefully get it finished on Monday and then get started on the next Chapter on Tuesday. Ideally I want everything written and corrections almost finished by the end of the month, I haven't started refs or appendices yet but I keep telling myself it will be fine! I can't believe you're finishing so soon AL, that's mad! Good luck with your discussion, I've heard it's actually ok to write but I've not done mine yet!

We are sooo close!! (up)

A

Hi AQ, thanks, me too, it still doesn't seem real and I can't believe it might all be submitted soon. But the more I write things I think omg, what if they ask me about that in my viva!! I keep reading back over chapters and seeing things that i'm sure I could improve but I just don't have time to. I found a slight error this morning in a chapter which my sup has checked and told me not to touch again as its fine!! It was nothing major just needed a bit more info about the paper, but made me think about what else there might be that my examiners will find!! :(

It's gotten to the point now where I have to let my perfectionist tendencies go and just get it done!!

I'm so glad to hear sup got back to you, silly for telling you 48 hour, but thats sups for you eh!! dread to think when mine is actually going to get back to me, but think i'm going to pop into labs this week and see if he's there to speed along!!!

Wow AQ, all those things sound great, I have lots of visiting to do too, family down south i've not seen in ages and a few friends round london area! So will have to get some partying organised with them at somepoint! I like what you say about afternoon coffee's etc, its the simple things like that that i'm looking forward to most I think!!
When i'm done i'm going to buy a pocket diary for my handbag so I can start organising a social life again - much nicer than work diaries, mind maps, lists of things to do etc! :) I suggest we all get one and start planning some fun!

I've just written first draft of introduction to discussion (a small 180 words!), but really don't want it to be very long, as i'm already over 200 pages without ref and i'm scared its a bit too big!! Struggling today though, I live above a wee pub and the locals are so noisy on the weekend.

I'm working on my bed with papers around me trying to get as far away from noise as possible, but have a headache, i'm tired and I just want to sleep and watch tv!!! Really should have the determination and motivation right now cos i'm totally stressed out!! Guess I do really, cos I am getting work done, but my sore head is making it difficult to concentrate and formulate ideas!!

right, back to it, section 6.2......

Keep it up folks, the time is close....
8-)

A

Oh my god, i have just finished my discussion!!!! :) I've sat and rewritten parts of it all day, and i'm sure after a wee break i'll go back to it and want to change more, but apart from my summary, I now have every section of the tomb written!!

Think its time for tea, and i might even have to have a beer to go with it!

I know its not done yet, but something inside my chest has just done a little backflip.

I send you all happy vibes......! (up)

A

Brilliant news Alpacalover!! I so can't wait to be in your position!! :) I'd say have a few beers, you only ever finish writing your entire PhD thesis for the first time once!! I'll have a bottle of champagne on the go for when I'm ready to submit, but definitely some beers when I get the full draft finished!!

(up)(up)

A

Thank you AQ!! I can't believe it either, doesn't really seem real as I still have to tidy it all up, do corrections, summary, and then double check everything and proofread, before submission and VIVA!!
But guess its still a major milestone!

I went to make tea and found a nice 5 year bottle of cabernet sauvignon in the cupboard so treating myself to that! :)

Hope you've had a successful day, it'll be your turn for some beers or wine (or both ;) ) soon. AL xx

M

Ooh I missed this thread. So glad for you Algaequeen! Almost there! (up)

A

Thanks Montezuma, starting to feel like it's neverending but I know there will be an end someday!! Hopefully I'll be posting here with a finished draft some time soon!!