3rd year PhD student - get me out of here!

T

Hi -

I am just curious as to what is the earliest people can finish their PhD and how people have done this? I am aware some phds the earliest is 3 years - anyone managed this?

the reason I ask is that I am in my third year now (the third month of it) and totally fed up! My phd was fab to begin with, I was so motivated and excited...but my group has dwindled down to just three people (one who is leaving in two months). My supervisor isn't often about - and STILL hasnt marked my first year report for upgrade. I am finding my days to be lonely - when I hit a problem with data there isn't anyone here to turn to as the experienced people have all gone. So I am going around in circles, losing motivation and wasting time. I have learned that I don't want to work in Academia and I am itching to complete my PhD get a job and move on with my life! I just want to get my thesis written up as soon as possible.

I am organising a meeting with my supervisor to put my foot down and ask for regular meetings with him so that I can set goals and get on track with writing up - but I also want to be brutally honest with him and say I aim to be out of here as soon as physically possible.

Any tips from people who have finished PhDs in the 3 year time scale?!

Thanks in advance

L
x

B

I was actually a part-time student, doing about 5-10 hours study a week, and finished inside 6 years. So not 3 years, but very very fast compared to a lot of full-timers working far more hours.

My best tip to people is to make the use of the first year (or 2 years for part-time students). So often people drift during that time, and valuable time is lost. In my first go at a PhD, full-time science student, I drifted in my first year, reading lots of papers, slowly producing a literature review. So then when I fell seriously ill at the end of that year I'd made little progrress.

In my second go at a PhD, part-time and humanities this time, I wrote my literature review 3 months after studying my PhD, and then I got on with the research. So, by the time I got to halfway through (equivalent to 18 months for a full-timer), I was writing up. That didn't go so good, and I had to start again. But I had time to spare.

Obviously that first year advice is a bit late for you now. But you can definitely help yourself now by setting firm deadlines with your supervisor. How much writing up have you done? Have you got deadlines agreed for when you will turn in certain chapters, and a full draft? If not set them!

And definitely have a frank discussion with your supervisor. You don't want this to drift on.

T

Hey

Yep I have written a fair amount - my first year report contains alot of introduction style stuff which I will add to each chapter (the report was 12000 words) so that helps. I have a rough idea of chapters but no deadlines yet - so will definitely bring that up with him, thanks!

I just want to get some help, some motivation and then get my head down and have this done by September (which is three years to the date when I started). I have even contemplated quitting and just taking the Mphil and the rest as work experience - but I'm so close to the end I think that would be crazy

B

If you set some deadlines for specific chapters and drafts that should help motivate you. I always found deadlines very motivating. And I preferred them to be deadlines that I set, rather than ones my supervisors came up with. Then I was in control ;-)

What you need to start doing is not thinking about the September deadline, but having lots of deadlines before then, so you can work towards each of those in turn, and make progress.

Good luck! I felt very close to quitting towards the end of my part-time PhD. Very very close, a lot. But I got through. Sending positive vibes to you too.

D

I would agree with the previous posts. My main drive was to set-up a 'contents' style page of what to include in all of my chapters. Then, from what was already written/published, I cut and pasted everything into the appropriate places. This gave me an outline of what to do and what I needed to do. I then produced myself a 'gantz' table of the chapters to write, stats etc along the side and the months along the top. I shaded the time duration I was allocating myself to produce X, Y or Z. I gave this to my supervisor to show what progress I was planning to acheive. This prompted me to get on with it! Even while I am ahead of schedule I still carry on doing as much as possible as it drives me to think I may finish quicker than planned lol. Set up regular meetings with your supervisor to show what you have done and to discuss any issues etc. Get them to review each part as you write it so that they have smaller chunks to deal with, this way I got regular and prompt feedback.

As for the loneliness, isn't that what a PhD is all about! I would suggest having some contact details for those that are leaving so that you have someone to contact if things are not working out. They are the people who know all about the work so are undoubtedly knowledgeable in the field.

D

Just to add, I am another part-timer! I will be at 6 years (3 yr equivalent) in May 2011. My draft thesis is done but I am reducing the word count presently. Then the editing and formating etc so hope to submit within the 6 years. (robin)

A

======= Date Modified 11 Jan 2011 18:17:28 =======
My first time to post here although I have often dipped into the forum.

I am in the third and FINAL year of my PhD ;-) and am determined to finish within the three years. I have to say that my supervisor has been supportive from the start. I definetly have the blinkers on at the moment and although I feel that I probably could have undertaken a perhaps more interesting PhD, this is the one I am in and this is the one I will finish in three years. I drew up a writing schedule at the beginning of this summer (2010) until Christmas and am slightly ahead so I am hopeful. I will draw up a remaining schedule during December. I found it quite cathartic to put down in writing what I was going to do. To say I agree with you when you say you are itching to get a job and move on is an understatement. I am hoping to use the fact that I completed my PhD within a three year timeframe as a positive 'selling point' when I start to look for a job. I am also hoping to 'slip' it into my VIVA in a probably desperate and no doubt obvious attempt to show how organised I am!!

Good luck convincing your supervisor of your intentions. I think three years is doable - you just have to be fairly clinical about it and not allow yourself to get deflected. I did little but obvious things like reading my departments submission and format guidelines before I started writing. I have all my margins set, always use a consistent set of sub-headings, have all my references up to date and complete etc. It should help come submission time. That's the plan anyway ...

A

T

Ady - thanks for your reply, it gave me a boost to hear from someone determined to finish within 3 years! Sounds like you are on track and very organised, I am hoping to be the same by Christmas and out of this rut I feel I am in. You are definitely right in that finishing in 3 years would be a handy selling point when job interviews etc come about - thats given me some extra determination, thanks!

Do you mind me asking what subject area your PhD is in?

L x

A

======= Date Modified 11 Jan 2011 18:18:07 =======
My subject area is human geography. I'm working on my own which I guess may make things easier in some ways as I am not dependent on others. There definetely won't be any extension to the funding so nothing concentrates the mind like the prospect of no money!! My supervisor knows I am determined to be finished in 3 years so fingers (and toes) crossed it will happen. It took a while to crank up the writing workrate but now, to be honest, it seems completely normal to write everyday.

Hope your supervisor is amendable - I think it looks good for them too to have a student finishing in the three year timeframe.

Good luck with it, I hope it happens

A