500 Word Research Proposal - Please Help!

I am currently applying for a social science PhD and have just received the application pack today. In this it says I do not need to write a full research proposal, instead I need a summary of my research proposal which should be no more than 500 words.
I am totally stuck about what I should do for this proposal - how can I fit everything I need to say (methodology, background, existing literature, theory etc) in 500 words. Does I just briefly outline the area I'm interested in, or does it need references and links to other literature etc?
If anyone has successfully done a short research proposal like this, or has any ideas on this could they please help me?

S

500 words is a lot more than some places require

Essentially think of it as trying to condense your PhD into a short essay, except that you will also be referring to your methods and aims. References are a good idea.

I included an introduction to the general area of work, which identified the 'gap' I was attempting to address. I then explained how I was going to address this gap (key pieces of literature, identifying which case studies I would use) and a summary of the key arguments I would make and how/why these offered an original approach

Keep it simple - you are mot writing a chapter of your thesis, you are outlining the argument and stating how and why you are going to do this

G

Did you get this done XJR?

Thank you for your advice SixKitten. I am rewriting my proposal now, taking into account what you have said. Did you include research questions in your proposal? If you did was it just the main research question that your thesis followed or a number of different research questions? I'm a bit confused about this bit.
Golfpro - I'm working on the proposal now, it has to be sent away with my application by the end of the month.

G

I have a Computing research proposal [which gets me interviews]. Obviously different subject matters et al but the 'style' may be useful for you. If you get stuck I will happily email it to you as you are a regular poster on here. Leave your email if you want it.

Hi Golfpro, yeah it would be really good to have a look at your research proposal. Could you email it to [email protected]

Thanks for your help

S

I identified a list of questions (bullet points) of questions that would need to be answered as part of the overall proposal

G

Hopes it proves useful XJR. After re-reading it I'm not entirely sure it's any good. There you are anyway.

Thank you for your help Golfpro and SixKitten. That research proposal is very useful, despite the difference in subject areas. Thanks again.

S

I may be worth asking a lecturer in the field to look over it before you submit your application

M

Can I request from Mr. Golfpro and Sixkitten that please send me also their research proposal at my email address mwraza1@ gmail.com. I am applying for PHD and have to submit my proposal with in 2 days. I will be grateful.

B

Those two users haven't logged onto this site for 4-5 years.

T

Plus you really should learn not to copy from others. It's not a good trait for a prospective PhD student.

Despite starting this thread almost eight years ago I have received email notifications to tell me people have been replying to it.

mwraza1, I can send you a 500 word research proposal of mine if that would help (and I can find it in the archives - i.e. my old laptop). Not sure if it will be much use to you but won't hurt for you to read over it.

Quote From TreeofLife:
Plus you really should learn not to copy from others. It's not a good trait for a prospective PhD student.

Don't be so patronising. It is a perfectly good idea to read over other research proposals prior to submitting your own to get an idea of the style/content/layout of research proposals which have been successful in the past.

T

Ordinarily I would agree with you XJR, but this person has to submit a proposal in the next two days and is reactivating an 8 year old thread for someone to assist. This doesn't sound like a person who is trying to get an idea of a layout of a previously successful proposal before submitting their own, more like a person that has left it rather late with their application and is pretty desperate. But hey, how much should one assume from a few sentences?