9 months for paper review

D

This is a rant and I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same as me - I sent a paper to be reviewed for publication - 9 months later it was sent back with some suggestions for revision, which I have now done and re-submitted - what if its another 9 months - my career prospects are measured on this - it seems so unfair. 18 months and maybe more revisions who knows! and all this before even a hope of publication, why does it take 9 months to review a paper? then another 9 months to check revisions?

R

hey me too

R

Hi Drwhoknows,

yeah, very frustrating. I have a similar experience.

I think the first period is the longest, probably not another 9 months for reviewing the review. Unfortunately may still take some before the actual publication, yet the editor would normally indicate when it will be published, then at least you know that is will be published and when.

:-)

D

Hi Drwhoknows,

I just wanted to post, as I completely resonate with what you say. I think there is only one thing to do, work hard, try your best, and be patient. There is nothing else we can do right?

I have had this experience a lot. Unfortunately, my work is quite a new, in controversial area. Therefore I am getting annoyingly mixed reviews. For instance, a recent paper I had back, one reviewer was very positive indeed and recommended accept. The second review liked it and recommended a few easy changes, the third reviewer said they had 'major concerns with the paper' and then listed how I should make the intro shorter, and change some references! and then restated how concerned they were with the ideas. The Editor went with the third review and rejected.

This may work out for the best, as we have now actually sent it to a better journal,... but I have had to learn to wait....

My strategies has been attrition, keep revising, keep submitting, keep trying. In the mean time I have tried to do as many talks and conferences as possible, so at least you are building your CV whilst stuff is under review. - and any other things you can do that make you a little different...

I think there comes a point, where you realise and stressing and worrying will not make them come back faster. It sucks, but I think we just have to learn to deal with it.

Just wanted to add my thoughts.

W

D

thanks for the replies - sometimes is just nice to know that you're not the only one. 9 months is still too long to review a paper - you can have a whole baby in that time!