A bit disheartened....

S

Hello all!

I received a response from the organisers of a conference that I submitted an abstract to....whilst the abstarct was accepted their comments were really disheartening....they said that they were not sure that my work was 100% original and was simply 'old wine in a new bottle'!!

I am wondering why they accepted the abstract is this is how they feel about it?!! Part of me is just really annoyed and thinks stuff 'em! Then another part of me wants to prove that I do have something to add to the topic - whilst my research area isn't new, the reason I'm revisiting it is because it is still ambiguous and there's still loads of unanswered questions....

This is the first abstract I've submitted as I'm still early on in my research but feel very disheartened by their comments...

Anyway, I just felt the need to vent!! :-)

K

It really makes me angry when reviewers make such unhelpful- and frankly unprofessional- comments. It’s one thing to say ‘have you considered that this area is already well researched’ and another to say that it’s ‘new wine in an old bottle’. Sadly, it happens though. Take my little story as encouragement- I was rejected from a very minor journal with some comments which knocked me for six, but I took them on board, re-submitted to a much better one and it’s now getting published : ) Give yourself a little bit of time to regroup and then go to the conference and knock their socks off. Use this opportunity to explain to people exactly why new research is needed in this field. Thinking about it, what’s wrong with new wine in an old bottle anyway?!

K

Hey Sarah, I really wouldn't take it to heart. Is it for a presentation or a poster? If I were you, I'd be determined to go along and prove them wrong by highlighting exactly what is different or original about what you're doing. There's so little information in an abstract anyway that it's difficult to judge the content of the actual presentation itself based on just that, so I wouldn't pay much attention to the comment. The research world is full of judgements and feedback on your work- some of which will be useful and some of which will be irrelevant or resulting from mis-interpretations, incorrect assumptions etc (you can tell I've been responding to reviewers' comments today!!). Just smile sweetly and carry on! And congrats on being accepted! Best,KB

T

======= Date Modified 13 Jul 2010 16:54:58 =======
What a petty thing to say! Some academics just like to throw one liners at young researchers, it makes them feel big and clever (idiots). Don't be disheartened though, you know your work is relevant and as you say - why would they accept it otherwise (let's face it, joke's on them if they feel they have to accept "old wine" for their own conference).

I agree with the others, take this as an early guidance for how to approach your topic. If you're giving a talk I'd even be tempted to put:

"Actual talk title: Old wine in a new bottle?" as my title slide, then explain to the conference that this was what the organisers suggested (should get a giggle). Then go on to explain what the failings have been in past studies, and why your work is so helpful. It's a good angle to present from as it shows immediately why your research matters.

If it's a poster you could even sneak it in, perhaps a little intro saying "when I applied to this conference I was accepted, but with the rebuke 'isn't this just old wine in a new bottle?', this poster explains the research in detail, and why it is a very much a new vintage"

K

I love Teek's idea for a title! I think that could really work.

J

As a reviewer myself, I've dished out some comments like that before. Sometimes you don't mean to be harsh but if it's late in the day, deadlines are looming and you got a dozen abstracts to review it can be taxing. Remember reviewers don't get paid for this, they are asked to do it and it can be difficult to say no if the person asking you to help review is a senior figure in your field.

Anyway I wouldn't take it to heart. It is often not personal (blind review) and although the comments might seem unhelpful (conference abstract reviews tend to be less thorough and thought out than journal papers due to the number that you have to do) there maybe something to them - investigate. At the conference, seek the opinions of various people and see if they agree. It is not unheard of for junior or senior academics to have missed out on an entirely relevant piece of research that has already been done on the same topic and not be aware of it especially when there is so much research activity going on around the world.

S

Thanks for the replies! I am feeling a lot more positive about things today and think you are all right - I won't take it personally! I think if I just put the emphasis on why my research is valid and the 'new' aspects of it, hopefully it will be ok...

I'm glad I got accepted, I just wish that - for my first conference!- I could have felt really positive about it! Oh well, it's all a learning curve I suppose!

Thanks again!

Sarah :-)

C

As I read your post I immediately thought the same as Teek's (damn - beaten to it!) - it could be fun to rework it as your title at the very least it will lighten the mood and people should remember your presentation!

======= Date Modified 17 Jul 2010 12:43:17 =======
Hi Sarah,

When I was feeling really disheartened over yet another long phone call from my supervisor, outlining more changes to my wretched Master's thesis, I mentioned how blagghh it made me feel.

She told me it never gets any better...whether its the Masters, or the Phd, or even when you are an experienced, academic of some standing-the review process, the editing and the criticism is always a part of it and you just get used to it.

So, not that this will necessarily offer much in the way of warm fuzzies-but, if it is hard for someone like my supervisor (who has a pretty impressive background) and her colleagues, then it is obviously just a sucky process...so your article might be fine actually...as supervisor says "it is all just part of the process".