A change of direction

G

Same story as many: graduated last year with a 2.1. in history from a good university. Most of those I graduated with leapt straight into masters courses (further history) hoping to wait out graduate unemployment. I am currently working as an ESL teacher in China - it's hardly a graduate job but it beats going full time on my student jobs (mcdonald's ect.).

When I get back I am hoping to study a masters course but was thinking of doing business/accounts/finance. I've checked with some universities and such courses are open to people with degrees in history. Will covering two disciplines with a bachelors and a masters make much difference to employment prospects? Or will it not be worth the debt.

Also, is there a way to market Tefl on the CV, it's good for communication/working with others ect. and beats rotting, unemployed, on a sofa for two months (low point of my life).

D

It's difficult to answer as it will depend on a number of things, for example;

1. Individual employers perception

2. If and when the economy picks up (availability of employment)

3. Would you be prepared to move across the country for a position?

Check the graduate destination of those with this degree with your university and a few others before starting.

Could I ask you a question? I don't speak a foreign language but am interested in Tefl and so how did you get this position? I'm in the same position as you were and agree hanging around doing nothing much is a waste and if I were an employer I'd be impressed with your get up and go!

G

Ah, some good advice, I will take into consideration. In response to the third point, yes, I would certainly be prepared to move.

With regard to Tefl there is no shortage of jobs. You don't need to speak another language, the students learn by immersion in English. What you do need is a lot of energy. If you have a degree you just need to complete a tefl course. There are crappy online ones (I-to-I, Tefl Scotland, Tefl England) that have maybe a weekend of classroom workshops. Alternatively there are CELTA courses which are more intense and expensive. There are good schools and bad schools (shoddy businesses that extort money from parents). Research the school before you go (past teachers blog all over the internet). In Korea the pay is quite high; more than a thousand pounds a month (the highest paid korea jobs I saw were 18K a year with free housing -BUT you need a lot of experience teaching in korea for ones like those). In China it is lower, but so is the cost of living. There are some real horror stories, but if you research the school in advance you will avoid the pitfalls. I work at a good school and enjoy my job, but it is very hard work and I am exhausted come the end of the week.

G

Ah, some good advice, I will take into consideration. In response to the third point, yes, I would certainly be prepared to move.

With regard to Tefl there is no shortage of jobs. You don't need to speak another language, the students learn by immersion in English. What you do need is a lot of energy. If you have a degree you just need to complete a tefl course. There are crappy online ones (I-to-I, Tefl Scotland, Tefl England) that have maybe a weekend of classroom workshops. Alternatively there are CELTA courses which are more intense and expensive. There are good schools and bad schools (shoddy businesses that extort money from parents). Research the school before you go (past teachers blog all over the internet). In Korea the pay is quite high; more than a thousand pounds a month (the highest paid korea jobs I saw were 18K a year with free housing -BUT you need a lot of experience teaching in korea for ones like those). In China it is lower, but so is the cost of living. There are some real horror stories, but if you research the school in advance you will avoid the pitfalls. I work at a good school and enjoy my job, but it is very hard work and I am exhausted come the end of the week.

D

Many thanks - I found your advice extremely helpful and having spent the last hour looking, others are saying the same things.

Thank you and good luck with whatever you decide!