A database of PhD titles or abstracts - does such a thing exist?

K

Hi
I was wondering if there is a database of PhD titles or abstracts (ideally online) that one could check to make sure you aren't duplicating other current research - does anyone know if such a thing exisits? (please forgive my stupidity if there is a really obvious answer).

ta
ksp

H

Try http://www.theses.com/

I'm not sure that's the best way to identify possible research overlaps though. I think a thorough lit review would give you a better idea. 'Current' research may be 2-3 years away from being recorded on a thesis database

B

In my subject (History) there is an annually updated list of theses in progress. But I think this is unusual. Most subjects don't have things like this.

www.theses.com is good for completed theses. Otherwise you just have to cross your fingers! I found a fellow student doing a closely-related topic to me. I only found out 2 years into my part-time PhD, by which time it was too late for me to change tack. But luckily we worked out where the differences between our research were.

E

Try also looking at ethos.co.uk It's a database with all (they wished!) PhDs digitised. Actually, some are digitised, so it maybe helpful

E

Sorry!!!
The site is ethos.bl.uk

M

Quote From emmaki:

Sorry!!!

The site is ethos.bl.uk

I only come across this site last week - it's still in beta, and half of what I ordered was still 'in processing', but I've downloaded a few famous PhDs and come across some work relevant to my thesis that I didn't know existed (yikes).

P

Hello,
Proquest has a dissertation abstracts database, you could see if your library subscribes to it.