A good Politics Masters

D

Hi! I've been out of education for three years now after completing a BSc Hons in politics (2:1 result) . I am finding it hard really to decide between a MA or an Mres in politics as I intend to complete a PHD after this. What's the better option really also , how much should I need to cover me for the year expense wise.

Thanks

T

Drew, If you're clear about wanting to do a PhD afterwards an MRes is probably better as it's more research oriented. However, it depends on what area you're interested in. An ESRC recognised MA/MSc would make it much easier in terms of gaining funding for a PhD and can also sort funding for the Masters; if you're looking at starting in 2009 this might be the best option: funding has closed for this year. You'd need to have a decent idea of a research question if you want to follow this route. If your area is more philosophical then you might want to look at the AHRC and how they provide funding; I've just been through the ESRC process but don't know much about the AHRC. So in answer to your question it depends if the MA/MSc is research council recognised. I'm not sure how much weight is ascribed to an MRes though.

M

======= Date Modified 26 Aug 2008 16:05:54 =======
Hi, your choice will depend on your current knowledge base i.e., do you need an additional one year taught course before moving onto a PhD. The expense varies depending on your choice of university - if you want to go to LSE, budget around £20k. For other places, budget around £12-15k. If you are living at home, you really only need about £8k.