Accountability Partners- Finishing your thesis on time.

E

Hey!!!

So...after a weekend with no work (it's my rule never to work on weekends as I need to rest) tomorrow it's going to be the last day on my work before Christmas. I'll be off till 2/1 and then I work again on 7/1.
So plenty of time (I think) to work on my thesis.

For tomorrow (as I don't know if I will be able to log in) I want to finish working on the 3rd analysis chapter. It is a big thing to aim for, as I have lots of things to redraft, but I will try!

Good luck everyone!

L

Hi all,

I hope you all had a relaxing break, and now ready for the thesis writing task!

I completed my data collection, which waiting to be coded and analysed!
For the last 2 weeks I have not done any thesis work, and feeling guilty all the time. I cannot face the coding process, and procrastination, unfortunately, is my coping mechanism!!

Now the Christmas holiday is over, and the kids are back to school, I hope to retain my routine and do some PhD work. I will work on coding this week and will update you next week on my progress.

starsgoblue, I hope you were able to finish your chapter 2 by now.

BlackTrinity, I am sorry to hear about your unsuccessful job interview, and hope you find a permanent job soon. I guess you are right to take more time to review your thesis before submission, and I hope you will be able to submit by the end of this month.

emmaki, how is your 3rd analysis chapter is going?

All the best

Lonelystar

Great thread :) I might come here and set myself targets - it's good to see what others are up to too!

S

Hi everyone, thought I'd update.

Lonelystar, we are in the same boat! I did two "good" days of work over the Xmas break but was ill with flu for about 6 days and then went out and had some fun so not as far on with Chapter 2 as I'd want to be.

However, had great feedback from my supervisor regarding Chapter 1 - she said it was "outstanding", so I'm really thrilled because that Chapter basically sets the scene for Chapters 2-5.

New aim is to get Chapter 2 and my book chapter (a side task I've been offered) done by end of January, leaving Feb-April to do Chps 3-5 (one chapter of which is partially written already) and hopefully submit June/July/August time. Had my late submission fees waived as well, owing to supervisor issues in my 1/2nd years. Feeling on top of things!

I also got a PT job so haven't done any thesis work bar mild reading this week. Just settling into the routine and dealing with post work tiredness this wek. But still feeling ok!

Good luck everyone.

Hey all,

So I had a meeting with the sup today. We are aiming for an end of feb submission so he wants a complete thesis document on 4 weeks.

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I need to tweak a couple of figure but all I have left is to update the small discussion at the end of each chapter and make major changes to the first draft of my general discussion (I wrote that with a terrible cold and haven't looked at it since as I know it will be rubbish so daren't lol).

I'm also due to start a full time job soon (in a call centre) but its money to help get debts paid off that I've incurred during the writing period and I'll continue to look for jobs in science while I'm there but maybe doing something different and actually having some money for a change will cheer me up a little.

So for the next couple of weeks I need to re-do my Pubmed searches and read any new papers on my topic and incorporate them into discussions if necessary and finally be brave and look at the general discussion.

I'm almost there.
Hope everyone enjoyed their christmas breaks and are now back on track.

Trin x

S

Hello all, just an update. Handing in Chapter 2 next Monday so just trying to bang out the words and get it done. Got distracted reading an excellent phd thesis on the author I'm also writing about (I'm a literature phd student), which was unnerving. But when re-reading my own work and I think I am on the same level, I hope.

All going well I'd hope to have a full draft by May. Got all my funding sorted out and won't be paying fees until after July, if needs be. Thinking of booking a holiday for the last week of August to give myself a motivational kick but will see how I get on getting a draft together.

Hope you are all getting on ok!

E

Hey all.
Just an update......
I have to handle in a full draftby the end of the month. I have decnt drafts of all my chapters, but they still need work (especially my third analysis chapter).
I have planned to do a chapter each day and i hope i will do it. I mean i hope that i will have the physical strength to do it, because i work ft at a job completely different from my research, a job that also needs studying and researching.

Today imanaged to finish the firstanalysis chapter.

So, i'm off for today

Good luck to all

E

Here I am again, trying to keep myself accountable.
Yesterday I managed to do corrections on 1 and a hald chapters. So, today I have the rest half and one more that does not need so many corrections.
I need to finish with all amy chpaters by Monday, in order to have time for re-reading the whole thing, making the contents page(s), aranging the appendices etc by the end of the month the very latest.....

L

Hi all,

This is my first post, but reading this forum has regularly provided me with support throughout my PhD by helping me to know that I am not alone with the stress and frustrations that all PhD students seem to experience at some point! Anyway, the end is now in sight and I hope to submit my thesis within a couple of months. I am running out of steam for writing, so thought it would be good to join this thread and have some accountability :-)

Today, I need to finish the discussion section of my third and final data chapter and get it sent off to my supervisors.

Hope everyone is having a productive day!

E

I am now holding printed my first full draft!!!!!!!!!!!
I masy sound very silly, but i feel sooooooooo happy!!!!!!!

There are still a couple of things to correct (in references mainly) and add (the appendices) and it is off to my supervisors......
I hope that you all have a very productive day, and soon share the same feeling!!!!!!

F

Big congrats on your 1st submission!

Ooh..Congratulations Emmaki!! :-) I'm sure that was such a great feeling! How's going now? Did your supervisors say till when would they send you feedback??

Still working on my analyses, I thought of getting material for 2 chapters (and papers) out of them, but now it seems I'll have to divide in 3 chapters...which is good and bad, since it means more work to do in the same (small) amount of time!

How's everyone doing? Are there other printed draft ready to be sent to your sups??

Wish you all a productive day!

E

Quote From wanderingbit:
Ooh..Congratulations Emmaki!! :-) I'm sure that was such a great feeling! How's going now? Did your supervisors say till when would they send you feedback??

Still working on my analyses, I thought of getting material for 2 chapters (and papers) out of them, but now it seems I'll have to divide in 3 chapters...which is good and bad, since it means more work to do in the same (small) amount of time!

How's everyone doing? Are there other printed draft ready to be sent to your sups??

Wish you all a productive day!

Hey!
Thank you!!!!!!
It is a great feeling to have a finished 'product' in your hands, even if it still not a final draft.......
I will have feedback by the end of March, which gives me plenty of time to rest, and i sure need a goos rest!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done on having so much material that you can get three chapters and papers! It is more work, but it is rewarding.

Keep up the good work everyone

Congrats on the finished draft emmaki!

So the end of feb is here and I still havent finished. In fairness I've started a full-time job in a call centre as I needed money and my sup has been really busy on a new grant committee so hasnt had chance to look at some of the revised chapters (it took him 2 weeks to respond to an email when the most its been before is a couple of days).

I have been looking through the first draft discussion I wrote when I was ill and it is terrible, having to delete and re-write so much lol.. that'll teach me for trying to work while ill. I actually can't believe how terrible it was, I'm glad my sup didnt read it. And I'm hoping info is going to come online soon for a paper one of my colleagues has just had accepted so I can use it to ref something in one of my chapters.

I'm now having to work around my days off at my job but fingers crossed I'll be done soon,although I'm terrible for procrastination... but it needs to be done as soon as so need to give myself a good kick. I'm currently sat here with a glass of wine and just debating nipping to the shop for a large bag of maltesers while I continue discussion editing.

How is everyone else doing?
Trin x

L

Hi guys!
I am back after a study leave of 4 months (personal and health reasons). Its good to see everyone making some progress. Congratulations enmaki on finishing your first draft! Good luck to everyone else.

As for me, I hope to finish in the next two months or so (trying to keep a realistic target this time around). Already drafted the first two chapters. Currently working on the third one as well as the controller design.

Hope you all have a productive week ahead!
Liah