Acknowledging supervisor in work they have not contributed

J

hello, i would like to send part of my work for publication. generally it is ok for me to publish as sole author as i am in the faculty of humanities. my problem is that am not sure what i should write in the affiliation section to convey that this work is part of my phd, without implying that my supervisor has contributed to it because it is work he hasn't read, whilst acknowledging that he is my supervisor and this work is a part of the work he is supervising.

any helpful phrases?

A

If you say you're a PhD student in this and that department, I don't think this would imply anything about your supervisor having contributed to it. If you're the author of the paper, it's your work. In the Acknowledgements section, you could mention your suprvisor and thank for stimulating discussions or something along these lines, but I don't think this is really necessary.

(at least that's the impression I got from reading published journal articles by PhD students)

S

It's a part of the work he is supervising yet he hasn't read it? Seems odd.

R

Hi jojo,

I think in general you could say something like:

The author / I / thank ..... for his support.
The author / I / thank ..... for his support of the research project around..... of which this paper is a part.

Most likely the supervisor will be happy that you acknowledge his help, on the other hand perhaps it would be wise to tell you supervisor, if you are going to mention his name in this paper.:-)

J

thanks for your contributions. i think its safest just to mention that am a phd student at a certain department. i don't have to mention my supervisor..

my supervisor hasn read this coz am still coming up with that first draft.:$

B

As someone who has had journal papers published I would recommend that you have your supervisor have a quick read through to give you suggestions/feedback. It could increase the chance of the paper beind accepted.

J

thanks Bilbo. i wish that was an option. am actually publishing so that i can get other opinions on my work. my supervisor doesn't give feedback that often. it can take months.. which i don't have.

A

You should think very carefully before you submit it....if i submitted a paper without my supervisors knowledge/consent, they would have been majorly annoyed with me. Last thing you want in your viva is an annoyed supervisor ;-)

S

Even if he's not a co-author, if you acknowledge him as your supervisor then there may be an assumption that he at least proofread it; if the paper isn't good then it's bad for your supervisor's reputation.

How about a phone call to explain your plan? Perhaps he'll be happy to read it through. Then you could say 'The author is grateful to Dr X for the critical reading of this manuscript'.

H

Hi Jojo,

I'd give it to the sup with a request that you would like all comments back inside of (say) 2 weeks. To publish it without their consent or having viewed it, particularly if it is related to your PhD, may be construed as the hieght of rudeness and a deliberate slight of them. One sure-fire way to wreck your professional relationship.