Advice about a supervisor

S

Hi,I've been talking to a potential supervisor about the possibilities I have to be part of his lab for my PhD studies in molecular biology. In fact,he's the one who has been behind me trying to recruit me, including e-mails and phone calls trying to convince me.He is a recognized member of the faculty,his lab has funding, publishes every year, young, energetic, great lecturer, good network.There are spaces available right now for students. He has been very flexible with me about the working hours(but I really have doubts about this,I'm kind of afraid this is not going to be true at the end).Here are the concerns: Field is unknown to me and he knows I have no experience,I'm 30 years old already,I've been doing some research about him and there are not so good recommendations:neurotic,extremely exigent,controller, micro-manager(people in his lab say they would love if he's not there so often),not so friendly guy.His family is abandoned because of work (he told me this up front)and his insistence to recruit me is kind of weird to me.When is time to choose a supervisor, is it worthy to avoid social skills and temperament of the possible supervisor for a good thesis?

K

That description sounds like a lot of professors if you ask me! As long as he has experience of succesfully getting students through their PhDs and you like and are passionate about the topic and doing a PhD I would still go for it. Also, a supervisor that is around a bit too much is a lot better than a very absent one!

C

I might be a bit wary, but I've had bad experiences with my supervisor. He's someone that is not around a lot, leaves you to it and fails to read work without a lot of pressure. Is it his students that have given you the information above? I'd at least think about whether you could cope with 3-4 years of the above, and whether you want more hands on or distant supervision. Some people advise that the supervisor is the most important thing to get right in a PhD, but it is up to you. The enthusiasm is a good sign if he is always like that, you may need someone to motivate you when it gets tough-but again different students need different motivation.
Age should be irrelevent apart from maybe extra responsibilities and your "peers" being younger. Lack of experience could be OK if there is lots of help for you and you are not just left to it. Younger supervisors can be good as have a lot more time than more senior academics.

S

Hi CC: I've talked to two of his students. One told me that if he is after me it is because he is going to give me of his time, but she also said that he is a "macho", very strict and before deciding anything I should rotate in the lab. The other student I talked to said "don't tell me that you are flirting with the idea of getting in there? don't do that! that's molecular biology hard core!". When I said that he is the one who's "flirting" me trying to recruit me her faced changed completely with a very puzzled expression. I'm also puzzled with that reaction of her and I don't know what to think about it. I've talked to other students around about getting in his lab and all the answers are carefully think before talking and they all say I should rotate before deciding...I have to say he's been waiting for me a whole semester and he make me clear that I have a space in that lab... but I'm still afraid... probably because of the unknown...

R

i do believe that picking the right phd project and supervisor are as important as each other. depending on a persons academic backround and experiencee they may need little or a lot of support, espeically in the beginning. if he is pushing you to accept a position he obviously thinks you have what it takes to do the phd. bear in mind. my supervisor offered me the position knowing i had no backround in the field and has offered very little support to date. motivation is of prime importance but i dont believe that motivation alone will get someone through a phd. it sounds like a big positive that this supervisor is in the lab all the time. in 9 months ive probably seen my supervisor step in to my lab to have a look around three times and its usually only on a social visit. i would also consider what you plans are for after the phd. how is doing a phd going to enhance your career? its not likely to add much to your pay scale and competition for academic jobs can be fierce.

C

Can you rotate in the lab? It might give you an idea. Do you have any other options for PhDs, did you want to do one before being asked? Maybe seeing more options would put it into perspective better?
Some people are quite thick skinned and will just get through their PhD whatever happens. I on the other hand found my supervisor's attitude to be a problem. There's no right or wrong answer. There do seem to be conflicting signals from supervisor/students.

B

I would always say that unless you are 100% about your supervisor, don't even think about it. I can tell you from experience, your choice of supervisor has implications for a long time after you graduate from your PhD.

For some, the supervisor you describe is very desirable (especially those that are work oriented, rather than interactions with others, and who rise up to the challenge of Marine-Drill instructor types). For those of us of a more sensitive disposition it means having your confidence knocked daily, living on the edge of anxiety and constantly worrying .

Take the advice of the other students whatever that is.

A

Hi,

A supervisor who is always there and interested in his lab is a millions times much better than an aloof one. You most probably get great direction on your work. It may seem difficult at times but being micromanaged during your PhD is the best thing. You will always know where you stand and will learn a lot. Guidance is very important during this time.
I wish I were in a lab where I could recieve guidance instead of going around in circles not knowing where my theis is heading.
I hope this helps. But try rotating if you are unconfortable and let us know what you decide!
Good luck.