ADVICE FOR 1st YEAR PhD Student in California

L

What should i expect? also, im a single, is there time for fun in the sun - random hookups with classmates, or is it a "no-no" to sleep with your cohorts?

C

I'm not sure how I can help as I only know about the UK, and I'm in a couple, but no-one has answered.
I've heard that in the US there are longer hours and they take it more seriously, our lab goes early to the pub quite a bit. Here you would get out of the PhD what you put in, it's your work so it's up to you how you approach it unless your supervisor is very controlling.
I think it's longer to complete a PhD in the US, but there is no viva at the end. I think it might be earlier on(?)

D

I'm a doctoral student in Florida. I've gone part time to classes over the last 3 years, 2 classes/semester including summers, and am doing qualifying exams now, hope to start dissertation in October (and finish in June)I've worked full time the entire time, and am married with 2 kids, so if your main focus is school, and maybe some grad assisting or PT job, you'll be in fine shape. Some semesters were worse than others, its a matter of finding the time - often at the expense of other activities - to get the reading and papers done, becoming a master of multi-tasking. Couldn't comment about the hook-ups; but you will be with your cohort through classes, group projects and possibly share work for dissertation and career networks, so keep that in the back of your mind...

L

So who are you supposed to hook with?

T

lol good to see where your priorities lie

Technically you can hook with whoever you like.. just depends if you can deal with the potential awkwardness of the 'i've seen you naked' moments... Universities are big places so I am sure there will be lots of opportunities to hook up with people if thats the main thing you are after.. Also doing a PhD doesn't mean you have to completely cut yourself off from the outside world so there are pubs and clubs.

S

Well, if you're disclipined it is quite possible to work hard and play hard - so long as each bit has its place. The PhD can be a lonely life but doesn't have to be.

In your first few weeks make sure you are a "yes" person and do lots of social things to make lots of friends. I met my partner as a friend of a friend so time well invested in getting to know people.

Good luck!

P

this post made me laugh. It was not something i considered when i started my Phd but guess if its acceptable there is always time if you work hard and set yourself aside social time.