Advice for a first year humanities PhD conference

R

Hi all,

I am presenting at my first conference in a few weeks and was just hoping to get some advice around how to structure the presentation. There is a lot of advice online around general structure that follows something similar to:
* What is the issue and why should people care
* my approach
* findings and results
* conclusions and implications

However, as a first year I am concerned that what I have is very literature heavy with little for findings and results (and I know a presentation should not just be a literature review). Is it acceptable to present your research agenda and what you hope to do/ answer at a conference?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi rasx,

Your structure looks sound. People will understand that you have only just started and not expect much data, so focus on the potential and people will be interested. I have seen presentations of just a literature review and so having any data is great. My trick is confidence and just go for it. Most people will just agree with what you say and not be super critical if you say it with confidence. So I would practise it a few times and get feedback from someone else.

Out of curiosity, is this conference online? All of the conferences I have signed up for have either been cancelled or moved online. So are you in a lucky country that is still allowing conferences?

R

Hey, thanks so much for the advice.

It is online- it was first cancelled and then they decided to put it online. Will be strange doing my first ever conference over zoom!

Ah no problem. The first presentation is the hardest but it gets easier. Also I haven't done one yet I think an online presentation might be easier as you cant see the people watching you.

Goodluck!