Advice for anyone who is re-submitting

S

I was given a good piece of advice by one of my colleagues. He suggested writing a document outlining how you have addressed the comments you were given by the examiners and then submit this with the thesis, so the examiners know exactly what you have done. I was sent a Word document from my examiners with all the amendments I was asked to make, and so under each of their comments I have explained what I have done and where they can find the new material in my thesis. This also strokes the examiner's ego because it shows that you have listened to what they have said and done exactly as you were told. So hopefully they'll be in a good mood when they read your bright, shiny new thesis (up)

B

That's really good advice, and very similar to what I did (albeit on a smaller scale) with 2 journal papers and revising them to deal with reviewers' comments. Basically I enclosed a summary document (either letter or email) outlining briefly how I'd dealt with each point. If all else failed the editor could just read that and not have to wade through the entire paper to see what had been done, though obviously they should have double-checked some of it. Similar thing applies on a larger scale to a revised thesis. Good luck to everyone who's resubmitting.

A

That sounds like a great idea. I had thought along the lines of something but hadn't firmed it up in my head yet. Really hope everything goes well for you Sarah.

L

that's really good advice! thanks so much for sharing, good thinking indeed !