Advice needed from clever lab monkeys! (though not monkeys in the literal sense)

M

although if there are any monkeys who ARE able to dispense expert lab advice, they would be more than welcome to reply as i would not like to be seen as discriminatory (and I would genuinely like to see that - maybe we could meet up in a "jade goody wanting to meet eskimos for a 10 minute chat" type way???
anyway crashing on ...
I think i need to use siliconized microtubes as they are low protein binding for a trypsin digestion protocol, but I am having problems finding a UK company that does them. Does anyone know if siliconized is the same as polypropylene? Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!
Also any chance anyone is a bit of an expert at MALDI/TOF MS?????
Thanks lots

H

I know this is no use to you moomin but I'm SO GLAD I'm no longer a lab monkey. Also I hate MALDI/TOF MS.

I'm sure there will be people to help you

A

Hello!

Things that don't stick to silanised glassware often don't stick to polypropylene, so it's worth trying.

Can't help with the TOF, getting a triple quad next month though, woo hoo!

A

Apparently, some people make their own by swilling out normal microtubes with Sigmacote (I use Sigmacote on glass vial but I don't think I've ever tried coating plastics...)

S

Hi moomin! I use siliconized eppendorfs for a lot of my experiments - v good for maximal recovery of material (I work on chromatin). You can get them from Sigma (product no. T4816). Pretty sure that's the right one! :)

M

Schlu - thank you! they seem to be just want I was looking for. I'd looked on sigma but didnt find them before.
thanks for the advice and the sympathy (I think?) H!

A

what u need to know about MALDI TOF moomin?

M

been away so slow reply!
well, basically I am looking to identify several metabolic enzymes by using 1D SDS PAGE and then MS. Complete novice at all this so was wondering if this seemed the ideal technique to use? any advice would be great
cheers