Advice needed - having accepted an offer

V

Hello!

Even though I am new on this forum I was wondering whether someone could give me some advice.

I have been offered a funded studentship last week, which I have accepted. However, the problem is that I've applied to another studentship a couple of days before I got the offer. Naturally, I would have asked the department if they could give me a few days to decide , however the c/d for the other studentship is in mid June with the interview not being held until early July. So, even though I don't even know if I'll get an interview yet alone an offer and because I don't want to withdraw my application for the other studentship I am wondering (even though it's not a nice thing to do at all) would I still be able to reject the former should I get an offer for the other one or do I have to stick with the one I've accepted?
Both these projects are equally funded, just as interesting and have good supervisors, yet the latter is at a slightly better department and in a city I've lived before and loved living in...

I'd be really thankful for any advice!

K

As the saying goes: a bird in the hand... Plus it is defintely not a good idea to turn down something once you've already accepted it, especially if it would be in a couple of months' time when they'd have to re-advertise at such a late stage. I reckon you should congratulate yourself on getting funding, be grateful and then enjoy your summer knowing that your plans are sorted.

P

I disagree. I assume that the application you have is froma big institution? If so then they could easily get another student to take over - assuming you haven't signed anything legally binding you. Which studenship would you rather have? Have your interview with the second, and see what happens. I was in a similar situation when I applied. I basically applied for two studentships, and accepted an offer from one about a month before I had the interview for the second. The second turned out to be better, ie more money, better lab etc. I declined the first one and accepted the second and that's where I am now. I don't regret making that decision. They'll get over it.

P

I was once upon a time in a similar position to you:
I was offered a funded place at one institution (though not fully funded) on the condition that I let them know a firm response within a week.
I had another application in with another institution, who actually said theyd hurry the process along and then didn't.
I ended up accepting the first place then withdrawing when I was offered a place at the other... Institution one was LSE and their fees are notoriously high even for UK students so had I not been given an offer at the second place and declined the studentship I couldn't have afforded to go.
Anyway it caused me a considerable amount of stress at the time, but is continuing to have repercussions. My declining of the scholarship and place at LSE didn't go down too well with the department as it effectively resulted in them loosing it and it was the only one they had :s. I wouldn't do it again.