Advice Needed on what level of time commitment

C

Hi to all

I would really appreciate some advice, I am currently doing some parttime lecturing but I am seriously considering doing a PhD.

I have a three year old and think that doing a PhD will give me more of a flexibility over the next 3 years. I am thinking that I will have to work hard but will also be able to take breaks when needed for playschool etc. I also see that it would give me a better chance of securing better employment as the current job is paid very poorly.

Please give some advice on the level of commitment and hours taken per week over the three years.

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards

Cel

I think it depends entirely on your field of work. My work is laboratory-based, and so the hours are less flexible. I probably spend 9.30-6.30/7 in the office/lab on weekdays, and work most of Sundays at home too, so about 50ish hours per week, but this can rise to 60-65 hours per week (with evening work too) if I have deadlines to meet.

The best thing to do would be to speak to colleagues who might have done a PhD, especially if in a similar field. For example, if you're doing something where you have to take readings of something at specific time points, you might lose flexibility. However, I think that even the most rigid of PhDs would offer at least the same flexibility as, if not more than, a job.

C

Hi that was silly of me not to explain what my PhD would be in, it would be in the area of taxation and accountancy.

Thanking you

Celine