Advice needed - wanting to do a PhD in 2010!

L

Hello everyone, first time poster here!
I'm currently an undergrad studying Cell Biology, and I've just finished the second year. I've been considering doing a Phd for the last year, hopefully a project around genetics, cell physiology and development but I'm fairly flexible, and I've had a look at some of the projects that have been posted on this website, so I'm fairly confident that there's something out there to suit me!

What I'd like to know is the best way to go about applying, what the process entails and any tips to boost my CV over the next year! The majority of my coursework has been high 70s low 80s but I don't know how much my exams this year have affected the overall mark!

Looking forward to any advice you can give me!

R

If you graduate with a 2.1 with good course work grades that will stand you in good stead. I would go so far as to say that good course work grades are more important than exam grades when applying for a phd position although transcripts usually ownly show overall course grades.

achieving high grades in your course work demonstrates your capacity for problem solving, critical analysis, independant learning, creativity, written and orla communication.... and I would certainly put forward these points in your CV with examples to illustrate as they are skill very relevant to research.

If you think your exams may pull your average down to a 2.2 then consider applying for a relevant Msc course so that should you get a 2.2 the Msc will effectively bring you up to a 2.1 and you will be in a good position to apply for PhDs.

If you can get yourself on some kind of undergraduate research internship over the summer that would help your chances no end as well

good luck

L

Thanks Rjb203, I think I can get a transcript with the coursework grades on it so hopefully that would help! I've already secured an 8 week research project this summer, and I was hoping that I could use it to my advantage and make some good connections for the future.

Do you think it is possible to go straight to a Phd without doing a masters first? I'm not sure I could afford an Msc, which is why the Phd route appealed to me more! I'm sick of being a broke undergrad!

S

Hi, if you look back through others asking the same question - u/g straight to PhD or masters in between, you'll see that generally the advice is always to try to do a taught masters prior to doing the PhD as the jump from u/g to research is so large and so difficult to manage. Some do and are successful, but I think a large percentage of us would say (myself included) that attempting to do a PhD without the transition year of the MA is just too much. PhD is so completely different from studying for a first degree, and it is far harder to get accepted onto a PhD and especially to get funding if you haven't done the masters first. As I say though, its certainly not unheard of, there are a lot of people here who didn't do the masters first, but I wouldn't recommend it - I am finding the culture and study method of the PhD hard enough as it is, I could never have stuck it or even known really how to approach it without the training I received during my masters.

R

I would advise against going straight to PhD from undergraduate as I did so and ended up dropping out. However I know quite a few people who have gone straight from undergraduate to PhD without any serious problems. The transition can be hard but is certainly achievable. If you are sure of the area you want to research and get accpeted onto a PhD with a good supervisor then there is no reason why you shouldnt do a PhD straight after your undergraduate. I think it helps a lot if you do your PhD with someone you have worked with before as at least you know what you are getting yourself in for!!!

L

I think one the of main motivations I have for going straight into a Phd is the issue of funding. I've heard from other people that funding for a masters is quite difficult, which made me worry! I'm hoping that the studentship I'm doing this summer will open a few doors, and I've looked into the projects they're offering at this university; it all seems to be in a subject area I enjoy. If anyone does have information regarding masters and funding I'd be very grateful! I just want to make the right decision for me; financial and academic!

S

Hi again, funding at all levels is difficult to get, but certainly there is funding out there for masters students - I was funded by a research council for mine. Not knowing your area I can't give you any specific advice, but your dept should be able to tell you about funding opportunites. Some are funded for the masters and the phd in a 3+1, others have to apply separately. Either way, it is worth looking at. Ask your dept admin, or look at your website, its normally all there. It is very competitive, but your chances of getting Phd funding rise significantly if you have done a masters, and more so if you were funded for that and successful in its completion. I can quite understand your concerns, I couldn't have done either of my postgrad courses without funding, but have a look around and see what you can find.