Advice needed with PhD, thanks

R

Dear all,
I have a masters degree in a discipline which i am not keen to pursue further. This became apparent to me as I was researching my dissertation, I found myself tugging at, and restricted by the conventions of my discipline. I got reasonable marks. Had I got a distinction, I might have been able to swap disciplines and go into a PhD, but I would not be accepted into one as it stands. So, I have chosen to take another masters degree (in my desired field) in the hope that it will allow me (if I excel) to do a PhD in that subject. I know that I want to do a PHD but the thought of dong another masters is a bit daunting. However, I see no other choice. I want this more than anything. Any advice or thoughts?

N

Hi,

I didn't get a distinction in my Masters (a merit, which in itself was miraculous, but that's another story.....) and was accepted as a PhD student; I had a First in my undergraduate degree, and that seemed more important... I would maybe speak to potential PhD supervisors before you commit to another masters, as you might be sigining up for a year delay and extra expense that might not be necessary.

J

I don't have a masters and my PhD is in a subject completely unrelated to to my undergrad degree. I have quite a bit of experience in my PhD area and I think that's why it was offered to me. I'd say talk to some potential supervisors and just go for the PhD. I don't think it'll be necessary for you to do another masters to get onto a PhD course. Go for it and good luck :-)