Advice needed

M

I started my PhD programme yesterday at UCL. I am working on fuel cells. Any tips/advice that will help me in adapting to this new environment and also to this type of work.

M

Hi Mayofc2000

First of all, welcome to the PhD and its assortment of ups and downs. :p I would say, while it might look like a lot of time, it is never too early to plan your deliverables. In other words, you need to socialize and meet everyone in the department (faculty/postgrads) and find out about all the steps that you need to go through (e.g. first year upgrade viva, report writing, Latex, how to use the Library/getting access to Journals via the University etc.) Make a research notebook (diary) and keep entering daily whatever you learn that day (references of papers/books etc.). In retrospect, there are two key challenges to get through (probably are University dependent) i.e. the first year upgrade and the thesis defense. (In addition to smaller challenges that will be thrown your way by a lot of people).

Anyways I hope all this does not overwhelm you but remember time will pass by so fast that you will soon be at the other end of the PhD (like myself) so take control of it and your life while you can. Later on, as you might realize, the PhD will take control over you.

:-)

Best of luck for a fulfilling and truly enlightening experience! (up)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

M

Thanks it helped. Will keep you informed on how it goes. Also is it normal that I have no clue what is going on at the moment?

M

Yep it is quite normal and it can also be overwhelming at start. Just take it easy. Remember there are only two or three milestones that are really really important. Rest, you will learn soon over time.

Cheers

M

Thanks really helpful. Please what are the milestones and what are your advice on how to get past them. Also will like to know what options PhD graduates have outside of academia. Are they readily employed and what type of jobs? I mean graduate jobs or higher paying jobs. Thanks