advice on gettin a phd

R

hi,
i am in the process of applying for a PhD. I have taken the first step and spoken to the project supervisor. He explained the work that they do and to to be honest most of it went over my head. I feel like maybe i am not quite on the ball. i have completed my bsc and msc and have worked for a couple of years but want to start a phd in the near future. I am worried that if i get to the interview my nerves would get the best of me. n e help on answeing phd interview questions would b appreciated. thanks

H

Hi there. I was in the same position to you just over a year ago. I did a BSc and MSc but was still petrified at doing interviews and alot of the reasearch went over my head. However, be brave. Interviewers are not there to trick you, they just want you to show you have a basic understanding of the project and perhaps a few initial ideas. To be honest if you really dont understand the area, then maybe that paticular PhD is not for you. Just pick a project that resembles past reaserch/lectures you enjoyed (usually that is the easiest to understand) For me, biochemistry and i just dont get along!!!

R

thanks for that heather. i will bear that in mind