Advice, please

B

I'm currently proof-reading a PhD and all the refs are in footnote format. It's driving me mad! While I know what most PhDs in the sciences and social sciences are in Author, Date format, has anyone here done refs as footnotes in other disciplines?

B

My humanities (history) PhD had the refs in the footnotes. I don't see the problem 8-)

For example:

It has been established that penguins like the sunshine.1

where 1 is a footnote:

1 P. Bear, T. Womble, "Penguins and sunshine: a research study", _Journal of Snow Studies_, Vol. 6 (2005), pp. 23-28.

S

I'm in the Humanities and we have to use a footnote system as well, MHRA, I think.

T

I used to date a law academic and they all seem to use footnotes..

H

Quote From BilboBaggins:

1 P. Bear, T. Womble, "Penguins and sunshine: a research study", _Journal of Snow Studies_, Vol. 6 (2005), pp. 23-28.

Sounds like an interesting paper but alas my uni doesn't have access. Can you send me a copy? ;)

B

Quote From hazyjane:

Quote From BilboBaggins:

Sounds like an interesting paper but alas my uni doesn't have access. Can you send me a copy? ;)

LOL :p I've recently been reading the first Wombles book and the latest Paddington Bear book (the 50th anniversary one) on my Kindle, hence those names springing to mind. Plus of course I was inspired by Sneaks and her penguins.

oh, that's a paper I cite frequently in my PhD on duck food and the nutrition of polar bears (they eat penguins apparently) and dog barking. My thesis title is "Polar bears eat penguins? You must be barking quackers!"

B

Quote From sneaks:

oh, that's a paper I cite frequently in my PhD on duck food and the nutrition of polar bears (they eat penguins apparently) and dog barking. My thesis title is "Polar bears eat penguins? You must be barking quackers!"

Awwww, c'mon now. I'm asking a serious question and am creasing up! I just HATE footnote refs.

Quote From beajay:

Awwww, c'mon now. I'm asking a serious question and am creasing up! I just HATE footnote refs.

Me too. I find it hard too. Especially when author-notes are mixed with references altogether as footnotes. So confusing.