Advice - stick or twist?

A

Hi all. Complex situation here. I've just started a PhD (just 4 weeks in). I'm lucky as it's well-funded and pays as much as a decent job. But, I have also just unexpectedly been offered a very good job which is something I'd quite enjoy and involves working with extremely intelligent people (so could be quite stimulating/challenging). I decided to do the PhD because it continues nicely on from my undergrad dissertation, and I thought I would enjoy the flexibility of being able to work (to an extent) when I want, though it would involve working with people from a less prestigious backround than the potential job.

The truth is that I don't really want to do either the job or be an academic - I think the subject area of both opportunities interests me equally but doesn't lead on to what I really want to do. I do know what I really want to do but I need to save up for about 4 years in order to follow this 'dream', and both the job or the PhD would be the means to achieving this rather than an end in itself.

And now I don't know what to do. Do I stick with the PhD, or take the job? If I was to take the job, would I be able to quit the PhD easily do you know, or would it be a nasty process? I figured supervisors would rather I quit now than later on so that I don't take more of their money. I guess I'd also like to know what the life of a PhD student is like. I want to spend the next four years in as fun a way as possible whilst I save up to follow my dream, and I thought the PhD would allow me more flexibility whilst also being interesting, but I wondered whether current students find that is the case, or find that it completely takes over your life?

I should add that the PhD is in humanities and I do already know what I would want to study for it, as well as knowing a decent amount about the subject area. Plus I am good to workin to deadlines with self-motivation, so I do feel as thouhg I could 'do' a PhD, but I'm concerned that I don't want the experience to be miserable. Is it possible to do a PhD when you're treating it like a job as opposed to the first step on your career?

M

Hey Arcade Fire!

First off - what a fabulous username. You have my approval (up)

Having worked for a number of years in a job I really enjoyed before returning to academia for my PhD I must say that neither experience is better or worse than the other, they're just very different. Both have or had their stressful and frustrating periods as well as their enjoyable, intellectually challenging ones, both included dealing with lovely people and with right b*****ds! The question is - what would help you more in the long-term with your 'dream' job - work experience in an industry setting or experience of self-directed project management and associated academic skills? Which setting gives you better access to relevant contacts and networking opportunities which may be handy to have for the future? If they literally compare the same then I'd be tempted to say go with the PhD, especially if it pays you the same as a decent job as you say, as it's a very privileged, once in a lifetime opportunity which not everyone gets the chance to take up, and much as it's a grind at times it does help you to grow not just intellectually but also as a person (well I think so anyway). If you can hack a PhD, then you can tackle anything! 8-)

Not sure if this helps at all. Maybe draw up a list of pros and cons for each in relation to their ability to contribute to your dream goal?

======= Date Modified 27 Oct 2011 12:57:38 =======
Hello arcade fire,

My initial thoughts are that doing this PhD is not a good way to pave the way for another 'dream', and that the prestige of the job you've been offered will carry you further towards your ultimate destination.

If your PhD department isn't that highly regarded then your struggle to find work after the PhD will be even greater - many PhD graduates, even those from top rated departments - find themselves languishing on the dole for a year or more when they've finished. At which point you'd probably be starting from where you are now in another field, hoping another great opportunity comes along.

Some people do seem to complete their PhDs as though they were 9-5 jobs, in a detatched, but efficient manner. I'm part time and very passionate about what I'm doing (this is my dream) so am not one of them. I suspect time alone may tell if you can do the PhD in a detatched way; but I imagine it's hard to put up with lack of money etc for something you don't care about. I've heard of people who take funded PhD places as a way of having a job for three years, but surely there are easier ways to earn 12-15k per year, and ways which will be more fruitful in the long run? Or does your PhD place pay much more than this?

R

I want to know what magical humanities field you are in that has well-funded PhD positions AND great job opportunities after undergrad!

Seriously, though, both choices sound feasible for you. As others have said, if either the PhD or the job offer would help you work towards your longterm "dream job" (other than just providing the money) then that would be important for your decision.

I would add that over the course of a Phd many people have difficult times, and most people say you should only do one if you really, really want it. Then again, if you're going straight from undergrad, adjusting to a full-time job might be more of an upheaval for you than continuing in full-time education. Are you enjoying the PhD so far? Do you think the job would offer a good work-life balance? There are so many variables in either situation that it is hard to generalise.

As for withdrawing from your funded position, that varies too. My funding's terms and conditions state that they have the right to terminate and seek repayment of funds if you don't finish or aren't making enough progress. Perhaps you have a similar document you can check?

Good luck with your decision!

S

I to would love to know what field you are in where a PhD studentship/scholarship pays as well as a well paying job! The fact that you are planning to save money while you study is something I have never heard of & I would be dancing in the street if it was me.

I know someone has already posted that it is possible to treat the degree 'like a job' and I agree - in theory. However, the PhD has particular demands that tend to make it an emotional journey for many. This is because the foundation of the PhD is that the candidate stretch their intellectual capacities and demand from themselves ongoing and often difficult goals. It's not just the reading of difficult material, or the writing of a massive document, the time and task management is massive and for most, an ongoing challenge.

Perhaps you are one of the few that can be detached, but even so it doesn't sound like you are very interested in achieving the degree - in which case, perhaps it would be more useful for you to leave the position, supervision and funding to someone who is dreaming of this type of opportunity.

Also, I think your supervisor would be more concerned with time/effort paid to you rather than monetary concerns. Supervision can be a huge investment and I am sure that yours would be grateful if you didn't take up their time and energy if you have one foot out the door.

Personally, I don't think a humanities PhD can be done if you have no investment in the completion. I could be wrong, but I am yet to see it happen.

D

Quote From eska:

Some people do seem to complete their PhDs as though they were 9-5 jobs, in a detatched, but efficient manner. I'm part time and very passionate about what I'm doing (this is my dream) so am not one of them. I suspect time alone may tell if you can do the PhD in a detatched way; but I imagine it's hard to put up with lack of money etc for something you don't care about. I've heard of people who take funded PhD places as a way of having a job for three years, but surely there are easier ways to earn 12-15k per year, and ways which will be more fruitful in the long run? Or does your PhD place pay much more than this?

This would describe me. Although the time I spent working was more quality as opposed to quantity. When I worked I was completely focused but don't appear to have worked nearly as many hours as most and did not feel rushed even towards the end. I was gutted at not getting funding for my research interests and so just took something I felt I could do and which would get me off the dole. I've submitted now and at no time did I feel excited about my project or passionate about it but this may have helped me work as I knew I wasn't prepared to spend time on something I wasn't getting paid for and that held no real interest but I didn't want to blot my copy book in terms of references. I can't answer your question but if you are going to quit, it would be better to quit sooner rather than later.