Ailing and Confused

N

Hi all,

I am a grad student in my 30s. I was forced out of my PhD program by my supervisor. Unfortunately for me, my supervisor had something against me and I got the distinct feeling he wanted me to fail. He told me that I do not have the ability to the finish the program, would curse me out, and was an all around jerk. I was never given due process as I was never placed on probation, passed all my courses and qualifiers, etc.

I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect but I was not the horrendous researcher he claimed that I was. I had a publication and was able to advance my project. I can not prove it at this stage, but there have been people who fabricated results who were awarded PhDs. I am trying to finish this damn degree because I am ABD. Nobody wants to hire me. Due process was clearly not followed in my case. However, I am very scared that no one will take me in. If I use an attorney, I will be labeled as a trouble marker by potential new supervisors.

How do you guys think I should proceed? I feel that I can finish but my supervisor "sabotaged" me. I do not want be black listed by the department.

Thank you for reading and any advice you may have.

O

Hello bro, as much as i feel sorry about your situation i am a prospective phd applicant and i have not had lots of experience in such regard but i feel there must be some other lecturers who will be reasonable enough to understand that your supervisor is not being fair and offer some helping hands, you could see one of them.

Moreover, there should be a postgraduate advisor or counsellor you can speak to who should be able to help, i think a phd has a duration and candidates should be allowed to exhaust this before a supervisor would say they are incapable of completing the work.

However, you can still plead with your supervisor and try to understand why he thinks you are not capable, who knows? There could be something he wants you to change, perhaps he sees the potentials but insufficient willingness and energy.... Just talk to him. This should even be your first point of call before the other steps above. Thanks.

N

Hi Okesammie,

I appreciate your response. My supervisor just shuts me down. I know I am not perfect and there are things I need to work on. I was working on them but he lost patience with me. He did not give me due process or put in writing what he did not like about me. I am trying to work this situation out.

S

If all the world tells you don't have ability to finish the program I believe you wouldn't care as far as you believe in yourself and your abilities. Do you have enough self confidence? Why should being in 30s be matter? I know a lot of not perfect ( even not good!) people who finished their program. Graduate studies is not about finding perfect people and giving them degrees, you can be average person but make the effort to be done.

E