All-nighters (and not the fun kind)- staying focused

I know that there is some debate about whether you are a 'night owl' or a 'lark'.
Of late I have become a bit of an owl as a result of trying to balance a PT PhD and a FT teaching job.
Traditionally, I have used coffee and Red Bull to keep my mind in the game, but I have always been looking for other ways of maintaining my alertness during the small hours.
It is in this quest that I have discovered the magic of the Daylight Bulb. This has been a bit of a revelation to me.
I bought a full spectrum daylight bulb for my desk lamp a couple of months back and I can say with all honestly that the light that it gives off is the same kind of light that you get sitting outside on a sunny day. It seems to trick my brain into thinking that it is NOT time for bed and that it doesn't need to shut down.
As a result I have been far more productive and have clearer thought processes while I am working.
Sorry, if this is old news and you are all already doing this, but I thought that I would share it with the community as I know that if you can even squeeze an extra hour's quality work into each day then that has to be a good thing, right?
I have also started to use the Pomodoro Technique to structure my writing and reading sessions. Does anyone else use this?
What other techniques to you use?

T

I'm sure that bulb does work to keep you awake. I have to have dim lights about 2 hours before I go to sleep or I can't sleep. I just can't work after a certain point though. I'm better off going to bed and getting up after a few hours sleep and then working.

P

Hi wasabi
I'm not much of an all-nighter; I prefer to work two hours in the morning, then another 2 hours from 6pm to 8pm every night. I go to sleep around 10 pm, and always find myself awake around 2 am. Must be the nerves I guess. I have to submit at the end of April so I am trying my best to tie up loose ends !

C

I haven't done all-nighters as a PhD student, but I previously had a night shift job and studied for my Masters during quiet periods at work. I found that I did best by staying away from caffeine drinks and instead drinking things that would hydrate me (lemon and ginger tea was my night shift favourite). I can also say from experience that doing constant nights messed up my health (the PhD offer came along just as I was on the brink of being physically unable to do my job any more) - if you're awake at the time of night when your body is meant to be repairing and recuperating, you lose something that you can't get back. It can't be easy at all fitting in a PhD around a full-time job, but try to keep the night/day balance as well as you can!

L

Hi wasabi,
I have been looking for such bulbs for my desk lamp for months and almost given up. If you could recommend some bulbs that gives enough light to trick my brain its daylight, would be a huge help! with deadlines looming near, I have no choice but to work nights as well.
Thanks
Liah

S

hi wasabi
I used to be a night owl because I love the peace and stillness in the night. But after my funding ended, I started living with my bf and then I had to adjust because he sleeps early, goes to work early, comes back early. At that time we lived in a bedsit so if I got up in the night, it would wake him up (light sleeper!!!) and I have to admit it was very difficult for me to shift my working hours.

But eventually his sleeping hours had priority (since he's the one earning the crust) and I gradually adapted. Being a night owl, I have found that my best daytime working hours start from 11am to about 3pm.

Yes you are right, lighting is important. One day we received a flyer about some kind of effective reading lights, I don't remember what brand--apparently recommended by opticians but then the bf checked out the price online and they were really expensive!!!

I tried the pomodoro technique but it didn't work on me I was simply not disciplined enough. I also take coffee in the mornings and a cup of tea in the afternoon :-)

Thanks for sharing and all the best :-)
love satchi

Quote From Liah:
Hi wasabi,
I have been looking for such bulbs for my desk lamp for months and almost given up. If you could recommend some bulbs that gives enough light to trick my brain its daylight, would be a huge help! with deadlines looming near, I have no choice but to work nights as well.
Thanks
Liah

Liah, I got mine from ebay, but you can get them on Amazon as well. I have one really bright light bulb for the room and a smaller one for the desklamp:
- iBoutique 30w Energy Saving Daylight bulb
- Lloytron 9w Energy Saver Bright natural daylight bulb

Quote From satchi:

I tried the pomodoro technique but it didn't work on me I was simply not disciplined enough.

I have almost no discipline and am easily distracted but I have found that 25 minute bursts of activity with 5 minute breaks works for me. But we are all different aren't we?

Andrew