alone..yet want to be??

M

hey all, im new here.in 4th year of phd, funding finished last year but still writing up while doing part time lecturing
just wondered if anyone else felt this: im in this weird thing where i want to be alone to get work done, yet at same time its hard going through this alone..
cos of pressure i cut everything out except work, im not doing any exercise, dont get out of the house much (except when i have to go to x uni to do lecturing). i feel in order to work i need to mentally just switch off from everyhting and everyone, but now no social life watsoever, too much work to do!feel guilty to go anywhere to do anything except work.. but then i end up procrastinating watching tv!! then feel even more i shouldnt go anywhere but stay in and attempt work!
lot of friends dropped away, they just dont understand the pressure and i think some just got fed up of me saying 'no i cant go out i have to do work', they just dont get im not a student, nor like a job that finished at 5pm etc.
anyone else feeling like this?

P

Melon, to write up and lecture at the same time must be extremely demanding. You deserve some time off and you shouldn't feel guilty about winding down by watching TV. But don't listen to me, I'm a third year who isn't writing up yet. I also keep thinking I need to give up relationships, hobbies etc. in order to concentrate properly, but the thought of doing so makes me feel even worse. Every now and then I have bouts of 'house arrest' to try to catch up, end up wasting time on the internet, feeling guilty, staying up all night but still not getting anything done, and then too tired to do any thinking or writing the next day.
I hope the end of your PhD is in sight.

P

I felt like this, I worked full time when writing up... was working away from home and was writing up in the evenings and weekends. My work colleagues 90% of the time got a 'no thanks' when they invited me out.. so did my friends when they invited me out at the weekend. However, thankfully both were very supportive so kept asking me and didn't take offence when I said no.

Could you possibly organise one night out with your mates every 2 weeks and have something to 'look forward to'? have you got a def finish date?

M

yea i shuld try and schedule a night out..just kinda stuck in that 'house arrest' thing and cant get out of guilt mode (except doing major procrastination at the mo).. i think one of problems is i have been expecting same phd output as before when wasnt worked, so feel extra stressed that i feel not getting far, and on my 'phd days' it takes me a day sometimes to get my head back into it, just when i do its like its back around to having to do the lecturing job.

M

no dont exactly have a phd finish date, well latest is sept..right now im stuck on redoing my lit chapters..and still have to redo some of first draft results..some new chapters still to write like concs, policy/impl, methods that kinda thing. i keep making myself deadlines, but been too over-optimistic about them and not meeting the deadlines!