Am I behind schedule?

J

======= Date Modified 25 51 2009 21:51:52 =======
I'm starting the third year of my PhD on 1st October. I am doing a qualitative study in sociology and my data is based on participant observation and interviews. I conducted observation for about 6 months during my 2nd year and I have nearly completed my interviews. I initially planned to finish conducting and transcribing my interviews and to start coding my data by the start of my 3rd year, but I'm making very slow progress on the transcription so I think I'll be lucky if that is finished by 1st Oct.

My worry is that I almost certainly won't start coding my data (which is only the very first stage of analysis) until the start of my 3rd year. Is this normal or should I have started the analysis by now? I'm not sure whether the 3rd year should include data analysis or just writing.

Can anyone advise?

T

Dear Jessthecat,
I have no experience with a sociology PhD but know that work schedules vary hugely by discipline. Mine was science and I was still getting results untill about two weeks before submission... while arts and humanities are (almost) all about the writing. So first bit of advice is to talk to someone who does know-talk to your supervisor(s), they'll probably be impressed you've planned things to this extend anyway.

Next bit of advice (for what it's worth) is to go with what you've got..... You'll need to do the analysis before you can write up any results. Plan to get it all done in the three years (again, with your supervisor). This will probably mean some compromises on the scope and depth of your research but that's better than carrying on for ages without funding... It's probably a good idea to start on some of the writing you can do without the analysis to get that side of the ball rolling.

Hope this helps- good luck!!!
Tennie

P

I would agree with the post below. I am a sociology PhD student. Just finishing up now and within my 3 years. At the beginning of my third year and in fact until about 4 months ago I was still analysing my interview data.
I think that collection, analysis and write up are very closely intertwined processes in social sciences so when writing up you are constantly referring back to your original data and refining your analysis and thoughts etc.

But anyway - no point worrying about it as it's not constructive. Best just to get on with it. (this is coming from someone who has spent many un constructive hours stressing about looming deadlines!! :)

L

Hi,

I agree with the previous posts. Can you do an initial, overview kind of analysis and work out if you have enough? Do you need to fully transcribe it all? Basically, all you need is enough for your thesis - i.e. for your argument. It can be really hard to draw a line and say you have enough now - maybe you need to be ruthless about it! - and get advice from your supervisor.

L