Am I doing the right thing?

V

Dear all, I have reached a crossroad and I do not know where to go. I have been offered a PhD scholarship, but have not started officially. I did my undergrad studies in Biology, and I felt that I wanted to do something towards applied Biology. I wanted to create sth. So I decided to try Bioengineering. Now that I am trying out Bioengineering, I felt inadequate as I do not have engineering backgrd at all. I made silly mistakes like wrong chemical calculations, and my 'mentor' commented that i am no longer a secondary school student and shld not have made that kind of mistake anymore. I am supposed to plan everything on my own, but i don't know where to start. My supervisor in undergrad told me that it will not be easy to cross over to engineering from science. Am I doing the right thing to cross over to a different field for my PhD?

Y

That is a good question and I think it is best answered by yourself. I would suggest that perhaps the comments made by your supervisor where not fair, after all, we all make mistakes. I find that in times like this it is best to ignore them and make your decisions. I dont imagine many bio-engineers have knowledge of both biology and eningeering? As a new field perhaps this makes your research more rewarding, even if it is an extra battle.

Y

I dont know how to plan and have never made one. I never know what to do next, and instead make it up. It might work, I guess I will find out at the end of they year. It causes me alot of stress, but maybe its how I work.