Am I eligible for a PhD in Anthropology?

S

Hello Everybody,

Glad to see an informative forum, where I can ask questions. I might look very confused and naive here, but I am sure your guidance will help me in taking a suitable decision.

I am bit confused about pursuing my PhD in Cultural Anthropology. The reason is, that I am a Software Engineer and then I did MS in Public Administration. During my MS I studied a subject "Cultural Anthropology", and I straightaway got very interested in the course and after that I started studying other areas of Anthropology. About my career, I have been working with the United Nations for five years in areas of Digital Media & Communication for Development. In my career of 8 years in social development sector, I have also worked on different projects with European Union, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and World Economic Forum. The reason why I am telling you all this is that although my career has been very rewarding but at the same time not focused and in one direction.

This time, I want to enroll myself in a PHD programme in Cultural Anthropology. This is not somehow related to my career, but I am just very keen and interested in this area to study and have in-depth research. Now there are few questions that I would like to ask here:

1) Am I really eligible for PhD in Cultural Anthropology, even if I have taken many U-turns in my previous education?

2) Would it be stupid to consider this subject area, when it is not going to benefit by career, but I am equally passionate about this subject area.

3) Should I just go ahead with the preparation of research proposal and start applying to different universities or I need to do some more consultation?

4) Should I be working on creating a link between the Cultural Anthropology and Technology for my research proposal to make it more relevant and beneficial for my future career?

I look forward to knowing your guidance in this crucial matter.

Regards,
Abid

T

1. It might be difficult with your educational background - you would have to email the relevant organisation where you wanted to do your PhD to find out.

Are you planning on doing ti full time? How are going to fund it?

2. It's never stupid to follow your passion, as long as you can fund yourself and you are realistic about job prospects afterwards.

3. Yes

4. I don't know.

S

Thank you for the reply. Funding is not an issue. even if i dont get the scholarship, I can fund myself. If I decide to go ahead with PhD, then I will be doing it full-time along with few consultancies.